Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

1986 Bronco ll. Transmission interchange.

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by filtersteve, July 13, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. filtersteve

filtersteve New Member

City, State:
      Easley, SC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1986 Ford Bronco ll
      :salute: Hi everybody, I'm new to forum. I have a 1986 Bronco ll with automatic transmission (A4LD Code T). Does anybody know what other transmissions that will interchange with the Bronco transmission. I have heard that a 1988 Ford Range XLT will????

Thanks for your help!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the transmission section. Many Ford RWD vehicles have an A4LD such as the Explorer & Aerostar.

4. MrShorty

MrShorty Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Spanish Fork, UT
      92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
      For a direct, "plug and play" swap, you'll want an A4LD from 1) behind a 2.8 or 2.9 L engine 2) from an '85 to '87 and 3) 4wd (especially if your BII is 4wd. you can also use an A4LD from a 2wd BII because they used a dummy transfer case). As noted, the A4LD was used in many RWD/4WD applications like the BII/Ranger/Explorer/Aerostar.

If you are willing to go beyond "plug and play" simplicity, you can use any A4LD ('85 to '94) from behind a 2.8, 2.9, or 4.0.