• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Transmission and Transfer Case Specs by year

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
...other charts i have looked up say, and as in my post #28, all i could find was haynes says 4r55e for the '95 and '96 years only...;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Drobinson

Reaction score
City, State
Shelton, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 bronco II
the 86 to 87 B2 Toyo kogyo transmission Q?

:usa: thank you

i have a 1986 B2 with the Mazda transmission and i was woundering if you can take the older mazda transmission and replace it? any help would be nice

Lefy

Reaction score
City, State
Westchester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4x4 4.0 SOHC
hey all
I was wondering if anyone new the low range ratio of the
BW4405?? On the spec page here it says 2.48:1
I'm pretty sure thats what I have
underneath it read "Torque on Demand" and "AOD" If I remember right, I'd go outside and check but it's 10 degrees out:eek:
it's electronic shift and the nob has Auto, 4x4high, 4x4low
In auto it sends some (very little like at most 20%) power to the front

but yeah I have the SOHC 4.0 5R55E and open 4:10s

1st gear is the trans is: 2.47
Axle ratio is: 4.10
I believe the Transfer case low is: 2.48
On pirate4x4.com I have read that the torque convertor can mulitiply the ratio up as well. On the site they used a 2.5 value for the convertor don't know if it's true or not??

so multiplying those values I have a: 62.78:1 which is alright for 33s and the wheeling I do.

but with a 1354/54 stubler would give me a: 2.48x2.48= 6.15/1
which would give me a 155.7:1 ratio :eek:
now that would be nice but would that be too low for my auto?? and over power the brakes? if so I guess I could always put it in neutral to stop.

WWasem

Reaction score
City, State
Lehigh Valley, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Explorer EB '01 Sport
Which transfer case is in the 2001+ Sport/Sport Trac?

WWasem

Reaction score
City, State
Lehigh Valley, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Explorer EB '01 Sport

Road2Rage

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XL
I looked at my door code and it says "D" for the transmission and it says I have an open diff. 3.73 axle. 1997 Explorer XL. I had it on a hoist and it seems like a posi diff, plus my transmission is only a 4 speed auto. 1-2-D+OD. How do I know for sure which trans. I have. I think it`s shot. (Makes a loud winding sound and I lose my gears.) Actually I normally lose just reverse, but now I lose my forward gears while I`m driving. The only way to get around it is to put it in 4x4 low...then all the gears work. I`m so confuzzled :s

Silver X

Reaction score
City, State
Brownstown Twp, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport 4x4

sdave

Reaction score
City, State
mpls mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
hey what vin number position are you taking the trans code from? 1fmdu34x3tu is my vin

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
i have a 1996 explorer with the 4R55E tranny. i was wondering what it will take to put in a 5R55E tranny. will it be a direct bolt in or will i need to do some adjustments? is the bellhousing pattern the same? one more thing, the 4r is 4 speed auto and the 5r is 5 speed auto. problem?
Has anyone figured this out yet?

I am looking to do the same thing, "IF" it will work.

Direct Bolt up?

Drive shaft diff?

5th gear problems?

Throw codes? If it does, how do you correct it?:dunno:

Basically I am trying to figure out if I get a 5R, and I have a 4R, if it is worth beefing up over pulling mine out and being down till it is finished being worked on.

Last edited:

mrfastman81

Reaction score
City, State
Muskegon, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Need Help

i have a 98 xlt 4.0 sohc vin e. my tranny is a 5r55e with a 4405 t case. can i put on a manual t case on that tranny. need help.

:salute:

jovi

Reaction score
City, State
spruce pine north carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 sport
Ranger
R8..... L/S 8.8"..... 2750..... 4.56
What year did this come in?

elfgurly

Reaction score
City, State
Augusta Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer
I have a 98 2wd. it needs a tranny. i can get a 97 2wd tranny. chart says it will fit (5R55E). Is there anything such as speedo fitting, etc... that could be a problem?

mwilliwood

Reaction score
City, State
kennesaw,ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 explorer trans ????

ok this lists shows 1995 as a 4r44e and 1994 as a4ld, but the other list on here shows the a4ld going thru 1995?I have a 1995 that has lost the trans, so quess I better pull the old one just to be sure?Thanks for all the info on here,I have gotten years of learning in just a few nights with all this help!

Grizzz

Reaction score
City, State
Left Coast Hoser
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 & 98 sploderz
Help figuring out t-case model?

I have a 97 2dr 5 spd manual with control trac. the auto wreckers say their will be a tag on the t-case that says either CA, RA or GA. Where would this tag be? I have the T-case disengaging under deceleration problem. Trans, clutch and diffs are working fine. Thx

xplrluvr

Reaction score
City, State
Lower Bama
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Explorer
'06 trannytag l2p-7000-eb

Hello all,

I want to do a fluid change on our Explorer and I can't find any information on this model. First, is it a valid model no or am I reading it wrong. Secondly, I was thinking about just draining the exisiting fluid and just pumping new fluid into the level check port on the drain plug. I know this is not a through change, but we dont tow anything except occassionally a bass boat or light utility trailer. The vehicle has 70K miles on it and no service had been done on the tranny. It shifts perfectly.

If I get the nerve I may go ahead and drop the pan and change the filter as well but not without more information.

I would appreciate any assistance or info anyone can offer :)

95exploder817

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT 4x4
i looked on my t case and a sticker says 4405 so does that mean i have the 4405 t case

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
Does anyone have the specs for the fm 146?

sht explorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 ford explorer xlt
95 ford explorer

how do I cheak to see if my explorer first or second generation im in desperate need of a transmission wiring harness ,automatic 2wd can u help with what transmission I have?

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

88rangerGT

Reaction score
City, State
Bakersfield CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1988 ranger
Sorry to revive an old thread just trying to figure out which auto transmissions are direct swaps into my '88 ranger 2wd I'm having an extremely hard time finding a A4LD