1994 4r70w rebuild help needed worse than before Rebuild | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 4r70w rebuild help needed worse than before Rebuild

wander

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford XLT
This will be my 7th or 8th rebuild. This transmission is an easy case and rebuild but I have replaced all clutch frictions, seals, and checked operation of all drums and clutch packs before replacing in transmission. The problem before I started work on this transmission was slipping in first, slow second shift and slipping, OD was fine, but in second at around 30 MPH it would up/down shift sporadically.

The problem now is First Gear Cutout at high RPM. At a stand still if I slowly accelerate it is fine. But if you gun it 2500 or more RPM nothing till you back off.

I read all of glaciers diary blogs about this transmission, Thank you!

The only thing I can think of is the electronics. The Dual shift solenoid I found first had wider blades so I took it back. The second one had the right blades for the connector but the holding bracket is different than stock and has to be installed underneath or above the TCC colenoid bracket. underneath the tcc bracket doesn't work as then the TCC doesnt fully seat. Above it should work as the seals for the valve body bore are deep enough that the 2 mm rise should not matter. The tcc solenoid I was given by the OTS supply has red connector(my book shows that for a newer transmission) they said it would work, so it is installed, the EPC has a yellow connector(my book shows that for a newer transmission) they said it would work so it is installed.

Any thoughts people, Thank you in advance... Im going back to the supply house tomorrow and ring some necks and try to get better, correct electronics as I think that is my problem.

Well after tree days of operation the unit is now working like it is supposed to. Praise the lord. So my guess is something slightly stuck in valve body.

Back