• Register Today It's free!

1996 Eddie Bauer Carputer Help!

Prindle19

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer
Ok, just got my dad's old eddie bauer, excellent condition and i should be using it for about 2 years.

It has the JBL audio system, and crutchfield says that if i were to instlal a new headunit, i would need to bypass the stock amp. I read this as the stock headunit probably isnt self amplified.

So here's what I want to, i want to take out the stock hu, and put a xenarc touchscreen monitor recessed in the double din slot.

Then i want to rip out the crummy old 6 cd changer and build a mini itx system in a casetronic case with slotlaod dvd drive to store in the console where the cd changer currently sits.

I saw some other post about some usb volume knob thing, and i think that would be usefull for controlling my system volume.

So, since there is already a perfectly fine stock amp in the car, could i just take the onboard audio out from the itx board, and send that to the stock amp?

Then have the touchscreen running some front end, and that big usb volume knob thing to control the volume level for the car?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Sean

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not 100% sure on this but it is my understanding that you can not use the factory amp with an after market HU.
You use the power from the aftermarket HU.

go to mp3car.com they have a ton of info on there forums.

Scott

and every mini-itx system needs a lilliput 7" vga touchscreen.... on whatya know i have one for sale :) if you need it pm me, its in mint condition from mp3car.com and has a warranty still

I have been posting over at mp3car.com, but havent gotten any feedback yet.

I do have an aiwa aftermarket head unit, but i dont really think i need it. I basically want to rip out the cd changer, take the power cables from that to power the computer, and as i understand it, all the speaker wires terminate in the amp in the back of the explorer correct?

so if there is a way to tap into the cd changer's audio out, replace that with the computer's audio out, and just sned that signal back to the amp.

I basically want to go headunitless and just have the simple touchscreen in the dash.

MonsterEnergy, i think i've read that the Xenarcs are brighter and betterthan Liliput's correct?

Thanks

Back