1998 explorer sohc | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 explorer sohc

mlamb

Reaction score
Hi guys I would like some info from you experts. Im sorry if this is redundent but I havent seen this question posted in the threads. I recently bought a 1998 ex xlt 4x4 4.0 sohc on start up it has the timming chain rattle. From my research it seems I should try to get a 2002 sohc motor and replace the intake with my 1998 intake. From what i read this is a better motor question being is the intake all that needs replaced and is this motor worth the extra money.Also does anybody have experience with fat bobs garage I see they offer a lift with new rear springs 2" over stock and 3" inch front with keys I want to beef this thing up a little currently i run 31 10.50s on stock wheels and factory suspension with no issues will this lift ride well this will be a dd and if so will 33s work with the 3:73s or should i stay with the 31s im really looking for a factory ride with the added benifits of ride height since i live in the snow belt thank you for your help in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe it is an 04+ SOHC you want, but I can't remember, you may want to search.

Doing a TT over a couple inches does tend to wear out CV axles, so you may not want to go that high. Plus, you might want to go a little higher anyway to fit 33s without any rubbing. A 2" TT with a 2" body lift will fit them fine. If you want to go purely with a suspension lift, you are going to want the 4" superlift lift.

33s on 3.73s? You can run them, it will feel a little more sluggish, but hey, there are people who have them on 3.27s.

As for Fat Bob's Garage. What they are selling you is an add a leaf kit, and new torsion keys. I can't see what brand those are, so I can't give you any other information about it. If you did a 3" lift, you will also want some longer shocks. Rancho makes shocks for that application. You can find them on rockauto even. Also, that advertises a 3" lift, but the description only says a 2" lift for the rear.

You can do a TT on your stock keys (you may need longer bolts) and get 1.5"-2" of lift to match what you are going to do on the rear, put an add a leaf kit in the rear (Pro Comp 13120 is $37 on amazon) which will give you 1.5-2" of lift depending on if your springs are sagged, then put on a 2" body lift, and you should be able to fit 33s.

Here is a helpful thread
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97676

Thanks for the info.I did c the adda leaf they also have a kit with new springs 2" over and keys with shocks but the springs are probobly adda lesfs already installed on the new oem springs im not sure ill probobly go with the 2" and stick with 31" im not sure i figured ill do all new bushings while motor is out and ball joints im going to research options your advice helped alot thank you

2002 is correct

. . . From my research it seems I should try to get a 2002 sohc motor and replace the intake with my 1998 intake. From what i read this is a better motor question being is the intake all that needs replaced and is this motor worth the extra money. . .

All of the SOHC V6 timing chain improvements were incorporated in 2002 and later. Your 1998 has a return fuel system - lower pressure with a fuel pressure regulator (FPR) on the fuel rail. Later models as returnless - higher pressure with FPR in tank and fuel pressure damper on the fuel rail. You will need to swap the fuel rails. Sensors may be different and engine wiring harness may be different. Harmonic balancer is probably different. Valve covers are probably different - I think the oil filler cap is on the opposite side. No crankcase breather on the 2002 but the 1998 has one. Your best bet is to use only the long block from the 2002 and everything else (except maybe the thremostat housing) from the 1998.

All I saw on their site were two kits, both included an Add a Leaf. You have a link to one with springs?

Im sorry the springs r under suspension lift kit parts on fatbobs website they offer oem and 2" over i think the 2" over were 215 apiece

Thanks for the longblock suggestion i think thats probobly the best route

Thanks flash thats what im gonna do i think ill even do primary guide and tensioner and c if i can get it quited down for a while

I believe it is an 04+ SOHC you want, but I can't remember, you may want to search.

No. Its the 2005+ with the issue taken care of. Best advice I have to offer to anyone lookin to replace their 98-01 SOHC is to go with a 05-10 Mustang v6 engine. Same engine with the timing chain issues taken care of and from what I have read on here its mostly drop in, plug, and play.....no switching intake manifolds and other BS like you'd have to do with the 02+ explorer engines. i think someone said you only gotta switch around like 2 switches or something.

The 05-10 mustang motor is not counter balanced is it or does it matter? and looking at it it looks totally different but if the engine harness would plug into the truck im sure it would work also is flywheel the same i would love to use that motor if it was a easy swap if anybody has done this swap on a 98 4x4 please give me the details i would jump on that thanks

I disagree

No. Its the 2005+ with the issue taken care of. Best advice I have to offer to anyone lookin to replace their 98-01 SOHC is to go with a 05-10 Mustang v6 engine. Same engine with the timing chain issues taken care of and from what I have read on here its mostly drop in, plug, and play.....no switching intake manifolds and other BS like you'd have to do with the 02+ explorer engines. i think someone said you only gotta switch around like 2 switches or something.

I agree that the 2005 and later Mustangs have the improved cassettes, hydraulic tensioners and primary chain tensioner but I doubt they are any different from the ones in the 2002 and later Explorers. Also, replacing a 1998 SOHC V6 with a Mustang V6 does not meet my definition of plug and play.
1998Ex.jpg

2006MustangV6.jpg

The PCV system is different since there is no crankcase breather.
breather.jpg

The engine wiring harness is different. The fuel rails are different (returnless system while 1998 is return). The injector seals in the heads are different. The valve covers are different (plastic vs metal). The thermostat housing is different with the radiator hose between the front of the block and the radiator. The intake manifold is entirely different (one piece vs two piece, no VIS). I don't know about the crankshaft balancer. Cruise and throttle control is electronic vs mechanical.

My suggestion to anyone contemplating swapping a Mustang engine into an Explorer is to only use the long block. Here's a link to a thread by someone who has done it: Engine swap 98 sohc with 05 Mustang motor

Back