• Register Today It's free!

2.3 Ranger code 33, but no EGR?

fixt

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0L XLT AWD
Helping out the neightbor here, replaced plugs and wires on his truck.
1994 Ranger XLT auto transmission
2.3 MFI distributorless ignition, dual plug system
VIN 8th digit A, no EGR valve

Plugs were boogered with gaps beyond .065 with deposits, one wire was separated at the plug connector. It missed some but ran ok. Most noticeable at startup. Truck runs really good now, starts instantly, idles well.
No problems there.

CEL light came on, so I jumpered Signal Test Input to sig return in the prescribed manner and used a homebuilt LED blinky thing I made to count pulses. CEL too dim.

KOEO Code 33 - EGR did not open respond during test, or if memory code, did not open intermittently EVP EVR PFE
EVP- EGR Valve Position
EVR- Engine Vacuum Regulator
PFE- (delta) Pressure Feedback EGR

CM Code 543 - Fuel pump monitor circuit shows no power
Not worried about this one yet or maybe not at all.

I have not tried KOER test at this point.
The code 33 came in on test drive decelerating into a curve, just let off the gas to slow down.
Can't find an EGR, or EGR sensors in any obvious locations.(edit-because there's not any)

Here's the cool part. VIN 8th digit A shows no EGR valve.
(edit- VECI label shows no EGR)
Why a code for a non existent part?
Is it a code specific to this truck and engine meaning something else?

Can someone point me at some information on how this emissions system works; I can't find anything on it.

KOEO Code 33 ...
CM Code 543 -
If you are still checking/looking for help on this -- my thoughts:

1) double check the KOEO 33. An EEC-IV computer will output either 2 digit or 3 digit codes, not both. Being a '94, I would expect 3 digit codes. Possible this should have been read as a KOEO 111??

2) For the CM 543, I'd probably just clear CM and see if the code comes back immediately or not. For a time, I used to get the occasional CM 543 that would go away for months at a time, until one morning when it wouldn't start because the short in the fuel pump circuit finally failed completely. Then I could diagnose and fix it.

Thank you sir.
I did not know the computer would not output both. That settles the question in my mind.
For the EGR code, I thought it might be read as 111 and questioned myself.
The flash frequency was different from the 543. Individual pulses not separated by 2 second or so pauses. I guess the repeat sequence threw me.

I had read your posts on the intermittent 543 code and that's why I didn't worry about it. Seems like it was corrosion at the sending unit/fuel pump or something like that? I sure ain't dropping the tank to satisfy my curiousity.

CM did clear and the 543 hasn't returned yet so I'm calling it good until it stays. Intermittent failures just plain suck to find. I won't chase them unless it affects operation of the vehicle.

I appreciate your help.

1994 ford Ranger

I just put new plugs and plug wires in my 1994 Ford Ranger 4.0 engine and changed the oil.It drove like a new truck for 2 weeks then i got in took off and didnt eveen no it died .The check engine light stayed on and my fuel gauge went to full when I shut the truck off.I took out fuel pump it runs great so put it back in.The fuel gauge went back to normal and the check engine light went off.But fuel pump didnt come on until we jumped a wire from the fuel pump relay switch negative side and then grounded it to the frame.Now fuel pump works when key is on and fuel flows through the fuel filter.Still no fuel to the carburetor.Sprayed starting fluid in the carb it fired right up.So why isnt the fuel delivering to the injectors.trucks been sitting for 7 weeks.NEED HELP ASAP.THANK U HAVE A GREAT NIGHT.

Back