Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2000 Ford Explorer 5.0 V8

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by YoungExplorerGuy, September 29, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. YoungExplorerGuy

YoungExplorerGuy New Member

City, State:
    Pennsylvania
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2000 Ford Explorer 5.0 V8
    Im looking into rebuilding my 2000 explorer completely but its a rust bucket where do i even begin to find parts for a new frame, sub frame, floor panels etc...

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 974X4BLACKSPORT

974X4BLACKSPORT Active Member

City, State:
    hudson
    BLACK 1997 SPORT 4 BY 4
    A rust free donor vehicle is probably your best bet if the rust us real bad. Or search salvage yards and cut out the metal you need.

4. 410Fortune

410Fortune Snow Season Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
    NORTH IDAHO, 7B
    B2 Slightly Modified
    the frame is rusted out?
    Can you post pictures? PIcs would help us help you

5. Tifoez & Lavinia

Tifoez & Lavinia Active Member

City, State:
    Charleroi, Pennsylvania
    '01 XLT
    Pick up a decent donor truck and swap it all..
    for all the parts/supplies & time you would invest to restore & keep the frame & body original, you could pick up a complete, southern, running, no-rust, 5.0 explorer for cheaper..

If you are anywhere close to Pennsylvania, and want to go the budget route, I have an '00 frame & body that I picked up for the 5.0 donor drivetrain for my wife's '02 Trac..
    The remainder of the donor will eventually go to scrap after all the parts that I don't need are removed..
    Body is solid, minimal rust for a Pennsylvania vehicle, and the frame is also clean..
    Message me on Facebook
    "Tifoez Lafpoar"
    Or message my garage page @
    "Backwoods Auto"

I plan to post the remainder of the donor on here after I have it stripped, but if anyone has needs, feel free to message me!!

6. Blown

Blown Active Member

2000 X-Edge
    We don't rust out here!

7. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer EF Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    1998 Mountaineer AWD
    I’d probably start over with a better truck. Rust really can’t be stopped once it gets so far. Once you get into the frame, and major cab repairs, forget it.

8. Tifoez & Lavinia

Tifoez & Lavinia Active Member

City, State:
    Charleroi, Pennsylvania
    '01 XLT
    In our rust belt, sometimes when we hold onto sentimental shit, we will take as many vehicles to make one as we need to.. a frame here, cab there, bed from another (luckily the ST doesn't have that issue, just the hardware rusts out), and maybe front clip from a fourth, and doors out the collection of donors..
    And most often, it is still cheaper to collect the donors than picking up a clean, running (insert late model rust belt vehicle model here) and investing in rust prevention.. while building from the multiple donors most take advantage of that time to undercoat and address weak areas..

It is nice to travel to pristine valley to grab an older vehicle with no rust, but if you don't take the next step in rust prevention (which COULD lead to a complete dismantle depending on level of protection you are going for), you'll have murdered another good vehicle in less than 3 years..

My worthless opinion, to each their own, but just be informed before you make a choice on what is the best route for you & the environment the vehicle is going to spend the majority of it's time..

You wouldn't take a Pug to pull a dog sled in Alaska, or detail a car with the cover on..
    Having a "buy it new" instead of "maintain it before it breaks" lifestyle is why everything is made as cheap as possible and disposable..