• Register Today It's free!

2000 Ford Explorer 5.0 V8

YoungExplorerGuy

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer 5.0 V8
Im looking into rebuilding my 2000 explorer completely but its a rust bucket where do i even begin to find parts for a new frame, sub frame, floor panels etc...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A rust free donor vehicle is probably your best bet if the rust us real bad. Or search salvage yards and cut out the metal you need.

the frame is rusted out?
Can you post pictures? PIcs would help us help you

Pick up a decent donor truck and swap it all..
for all the parts/supplies & time you would invest to restore & keep the frame & body original, you could pick up a complete, southern, running, no-rust, 5.0 explorer for cheaper..

If you are anywhere close to Pennsylvania, and want to go the budget route, I have an '00 frame & body that I picked up for the 5.0 donor drivetrain for my wife's '02 Trac..
The remainder of the donor will eventually go to scrap after all the parts that I don't need are removed..
Body is solid, minimal rust for a Pennsylvania vehicle, and the frame is also clean..
Message me on Facebook
"Tifoez Lafpoar"
Or message my garage page @
"Backwoods Auto"

I plan to post the remainder of the donor on here after I have it stripped, but if anyone has needs, feel free to message me!!

We don't rust out here!

I’d probably start over with a better truck. Rust really can’t be stopped once it gets so far. Once you get into the frame, and major cab repairs, forget it.

In our rust belt, sometimes when we hold onto sentimental ****, we will take as many vehicles to make one as we need to.. a frame here, cab there, bed from another (luckily the ST doesn't have that issue, just the hardware rusts out), and maybe front clip from a fourth, and doors out the collection of donors..
And most often, it is still cheaper to collect the donors than picking up a clean, running (insert late model rust belt vehicle model here) and investing in rust prevention.. while building from the multiple donors most take advantage of that time to undercoat and address weak areas..

It is nice to travel to pristine valley to grab an older vehicle with no rust, but if you don't take the next step in rust prevention (which COULD lead to a complete dismantle depending on level of protection you are going for), you'll have murdered another good vehicle in less than 3 years..

My worthless opinion, to each their own, but just be informed before you make a choice on what is the best route for you & the environment the vehicle is going to spend the majority of it's time..

You wouldn't take a Pug to pull a dog sled in Alaska, or detail a car with the cover on..
Having a "buy it new" instead of "maintain it before it breaks" lifestyle is why everything is made as cheap as possible and disposable..

Back