• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer 5.0 questions

Cobra Jet

Reaction score
City, State
Southern, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLS
I'm converting over a 2000 Ford Explorer 5.0 V8 to be used with an earlier EFI Ford Distributor for another vehicle application.

Can someone please tell me what type of cam sensor gear was used on the 2000 Explorer V8's (I'm asking about the metal composition of the gear)?

Also, how hard is it to remove the cam sensor timing sprocket from the crank?

The engine is on an engine stand and is currently stripped down so that just the heads, timing cover, timing sprocket, harmonic balancer and crank pulley just remain on it, as I am in the middle of an engine build up.

I will be using a 1986-1995 Mustang 5.0 timing cover, EFI distributor and complete 5.0 EFI setup on this engine.

Thanks for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha I cannot help you but putting a distributor in there is working backwards :) the DIS and OBD-@ PCM are superior!

5.0 went out in the mustang in '95. 96+ are 4.6 motors. just wondering as to what advantages you stand to gain by going with a distributor, adjusting your timing?

well the Explo computer also controls the 4r70w and people are scared of the OBD-2 system and PATS.

I was told many times I would not get my computer to work in my truck without using the entire body harness from the Explorer (Gem module, etc) well thats a bunch of hooey. In fact I can put this PCM in any EEC-IV equipped vehicle..
Soon we will be putting this drivetrain into a Ranchero and also a Fastback Mustang...retaining cruise control, A/C, OD on/off, etc....

it is a very popular conversion to put the dist in the block and run the Stang computer...

TarHeel085 said:
5.0 went out in the mustang in '95. 96+ are 4.6 motors. just wondering as to what advantages you stand to gain by going with a distributor, adjusting your timing?

?????????

It's a true 5.0 from a 2000 Explorer... pushrod V8... GT40P engine (has GT40P heads and GT40 upper & lower intakes). VIN Letter "P". I have the complete VIN # and the plug wires were also 2000 date coded (as well as other parts).

I'm not understanding your remark, unless it's some sort of sarcasm?

~~~

The engine is not and will not be used in an Explorer and will be using the pre-2000 ford EFI operations & ECM...

Fellas, I'm looking for some good help and or responses here as you folks are knowlegable about this engine (and Explorers in general) .... just as I would provide excellent answers or info for anyone asking me questions about a topic I would be knowledgable about (such as Mustangs, Bronco, BMW's, etc). Just because I am new to this forum does not mean I'm a "newbie" to mechanics and automobile mods and such....

~~~

JTsmith - thanks for the info on the cam gear, I'm going to pull it tonight and see if I can tell by "color" after cleaning it off...

~~~

Others - the engine is being used in another vehicle application and the reason this engine was chosen as the rebuild candidate is not only because it had low miles and was a complete GT40 engine - but because it is the "newest" 5.0 available from most junk/salvage yards to rebuild after Ford ceased regular production V8 pushrods. This is why I am not using the OBDII components and/or replacing the electronics with an "old school" EFI dizzy & ECM...

I appreciate the helpful replies if others have more to add, please do, as it only furthers my knowlegde....

Thanks! :thumbsup: :D

410Fortune said:
well the Explo computer also controls the 4r70w and people are scared of the OBD-2 system and PATS.

I was told many times I would not get my computer to work in my truck without using the entire body harness from the Explorer (Gem module, etc) well thats a bunch of hooey. In fact I can put this PCM in any EEC-IV equipped vehicle..
Soon we will be putting this drivetrain into a Ranchero and also a Fastback Mustang...retaining cruise control, A/C, OD on/off, etc....

it is a very popular conversion to put the dist in the block and run the Stang computer...

THANKS for the input - as your statements are right on the money.... many folks don't know these Explorer GT40 5.0 engines can be use in other vehicle applications and are also highly sought after, since they came from Ford with some very nice hardware. :cool:

In my case, the engine is being used as a replacement for a full size Bronco which unfortnately decided it was going to barf some shrapnel through the oil pan.

The engines are NOT tied back to any single ECM or computer... a 5.0 long block can be used in almost ANY vehicle, V8 conversion, etc... regardless of what ECM it *used* to operate with. :p As long as one can read wiring diagrams, work with and modify wiring harnesses, or have been working with these things (Ford related V8 components) for a while, you can run nearly any 5.0 V8 off of nearly any ECM of one's choice...

I'm only utilizing the Explorer GT40 short block & heads, the rest of the engine will be completed with the 94 Bronco components (and some aftermarket parts) and will be running off of the original Bronco ECM...

a good site for others to check up on is www.fordfuelinjection.com . There is a complete listing of ALL Ford ECM's and what they can be used with as far as compatibility... :D

my favorite site :) I love sending people there!

410Fortune said:
my favorite site :) I love sending people there!

Yep, yep! fordfuelinjection rocks - tons of info there and it's a very informative site. The sites below are those that I frequent most and know tons of great folks...

corral.net
fullsizebronco.com
sspmustang.org
foureyedpride.com
bimmerforums.com
superstallions.com
godragracing.com
ih8mud.com
njfourwheelers.com

~~~

:usa: :thumbsup:

back to Explorer tech... LOL..