2002 4.0L Blinking CEL. Probably not a misfire. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 4.0L Blinking CEL. Probably not a misfire.

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport 4.0V6
Hello All,

I used to own a Ford Explorer, but she is no longer with us. Anyways, I bought a 2002 Ford Ranger 4x4 4.0L XLT to replace her. I have put 38,000 miles on the new Ranger in 20 months. My Ranger has 209,000 miles.

Last Summer I had a problem where my Truck was having the Catalytic Converter shake and the truck would lose acceleration capabilities. The check engine light would be blinking. I took it to the auto shop because I didn't have time to mess with it. They replaced the ignition coil and spark plugs and she has been running since.

Now that's it warmed up the truck is doing that again. Today on the way to work the truck would not accelerate as quickly as it can. The truck sounded like an old Dodge without a hole in its exhaust manifold. The CEL was blinking and I know you should pull over when that happens but I chanced it. When I got on the highway the engine got to operating temperature and it stopped doing that stuff. I could accelerate normally and it wasn't loud.

The reason I don't think it's a misfire is because all of that stuff was replaced last summer with Motorcraft parts and it only does it when the engine is cold. I believe the engine is not getting the right air fuel mixture. I believe it is running rich. My fuel efficiency dropped and I think HCs are clogging the cat.

How can I go about checking my theory? I remember the autoshop telling me something about my O2 sensors being messed up, but he didn't know it if was upstream or downstream. How can I test this?

Thank you for your time!

Back