• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ranger EDGE 4.0 V6

Danilo

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
Yesterday upon driving to school, my Ranger just started vibrating like crazy. Lost power on acceleration then shut off. I got it started again but it took a while to start it. My engine light is blinking non-stop. Everytime I stop on a red light, the engine will shut off. I stop by a local garage, they put it on a scanner & here is the fault code P1270 & P0303. the mechanic said that it could be a valve problem on cylinder #3. Is this true? he also mentioned that I might need a new engine? Feedback will be appreciated. Anybody have a picuter of the cylinder? Or eve on how to check for the valve problem.

Yesterday upon driving to school, my Ranger just started vibrating like crazy. Lost power on acceleration then shut off. I got it started again but it took a while to start it. My engine light is blinking non-stop. Everytime I stop on a red light, the engine will shut off. I stop by a local garage, they put it on a scanner & here is the fault code P1270 & P0303. the mechanic said that it could be a valve problem on cylinder #3. Is this true? he also mentioned that I might need a new engine? Feedback will be appreciated. Anybody have a picuter of the cylinder? Or eve on how to check for the valve problem.
Hi Danilo, the P1270 means the RPM or speed limiter has been activated.
Drive with more restraint or I'll tell your parents.:)

The P0303 is a misfire on cylinder number 3; it's the one next to
the firewall on the passenger side. I'd start by replacing the
sparkplug and plug wire on that cylinder and see if that fixes it.
With luck it's as simple as that to fix, but if the engine's been
over revved then there might indeed be internal damage.....

I agree with ROE. Replace the plugs/wires, reset the computer, and cross your fingers.

Back