2002 Ford Explorer Parts Compatibility? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer Parts Compatibility?

jimonlight

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport 2-dr
Hi everyone, Happy Monday to you!

I am curious as to if anyone knows where I can find a list of parts compatible with the 2002 Ford Explorer Sport (2WD, 2-Door), like Mazda parts, other Ford years of Explorer, etc.

Right now, I am kinda low on spare bones, so I was going to head down to my local Pick and Pull place and scavenge some parts! Mostly random stuff, mostly stuff like the mount for the right front headlight/side light, the "DOHV" cover that sits on top of the engine compartment (mine is cracked, obviously a cosmetic part) and I was going to see if I could scavenge a few multi-function switches, too.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The junkyard should be able to tell you what other vehicles are compatible, for specific parts. For example, while your Explorer may use the same alternator as 10 other Ford model form a wide range of years (I'm just making an example, I don't know the interchange on alternators), another part may only fit that year Explorer, and may even be specific to a particular trim level (XLT, Sport,etc...).

Any decent junkyard will have something called the "Hollander Interchange". It's an industry standard guide for parts interchangability, and it's been in use for decades. It is usually pretty accurate, especially for models that are at least several years old. By then, many of the errors/inconsistencies in the guide will have been caught and corrected.

I'm sure they won't mind looking up a few things for you, but don't expect them to look up every little part, as you will quickly wear out your welcome. Also, their are a number of part types that typically do not have a Hollander interchange number. Things like seats, ash trays, window switches,etc..... ( the "little" stuff); you're kind of on your own with these.

Generally speaking, your Sport should be compatible with '95-'01 Explorers/Mountaineers

Thanks, Carguy! I'm pretty excited to go out there and see what the haps is. Taking care of my own Explorer is something I have been enjoying a lot!

Explorers are extremely rare vehicles and it's hard to find parts. Okay that's not true. Actually you should have no trouble finding one in any junk yard near identical to yours.

02 Explorer sport parts to a 2000 explorer xlt

I have a 2002 Explorer sport and I was thinking of reusing as many parts as I can for my 2000 explorer. I was wondering what parts I can use off of my 02 the engine it has is 4.0l SOHC V6 and my 00 has a 4.0l OHV V6 I was gonna swap the engines but wasnt sure if I could use the instrument cluster and rotors etc. Any help would great as this will be done within the next month.:D

Back