• Register Today It's free!

Junk Yard Run!

Andy96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Branchburg NJ, Bethlehem PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I am honestly not really sure where to post this, but I figured this works.
On tuesday I plan on heading off to a huge junk yard to pick up some things. If anyone local needs anything I can pick it up for you, or if anyone not so local needs something smallish, or wants to deal with shipping I can pick it up for you too. Generally the place I go to has 20+ 2nd gens of various years and a few first gens along with mazdas. I plan on being there all day, but I won't be able to get an engine, transmission, or any major part like that ha. I can usually get hitches, tail lights, head lights, seats, hoods, trim pieces and all sorts of things for very cheap. (for example a hitch would be $30) The place is great ha. Let me know if anyone is interested and I'll let you know If it sounds like I can get it for you. I accept paypal and would prefer to get paid so I do not get ripped off and I of course will refund all money if I cannot get the part. I will give you my phone number/address/ or anything you might need so you feel like your not getting ripped off ha:D I can give you prices as I have a price list for most parts. Let me know if I can help anyone!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know its short notice but I will be leaving in approximately.... 14 hours so if anyone needs anything let me know:thumbsup:

I need an overhead console temp. sensor off of a second gen. explorer or late 90's Ranger. I'm not sure exactly what year I need. I got one but it is the wrong type. I think I may need one from around a 1996 Explorer if I remember correctly? If you can find more than one that has a different plug shape maybe you could grab a couple?

I will definately take a look for you. Do you have a picture of the one wrong one you have by chance so i don't grab the same one? If not it's ok.:thumbsup:

I think there was a couple the last time I was there. I am not too familiar with them but I think I did see a couple. What are you looking for?

I will print out the list and bring it with me and take a look for you. Hopefully they'll have something that I can help you out with.

Thanks! How would you rate this place as far as quality of parts, returns, and prices? My local junkyards don't like to sell retail, and if they do, they charge almost the same price or more than the dealer. They won't let you go into the yard to check things out or pull parts on your own. It wasn't always like this.

Oh something else I could use. This may be too much of a pain to get out? I need the right (passenger) side AC vent that is next to the door in tan from a 2000 Explorer. I don't know how many years around the 2000 use the same tan color.

Quality- A- of course it all depends on the truck you get the parts from

Price A+ they are ridiculously cheap, I got an AC compressor for my jeep for around $22 I think

And unfortunately they do not accept any returns if you meant it that way because it is a pick and pull.
If you meant return on if they have what you are looking for, I would vote B to maybe B+ for explorers, they usually have a lot of trucks.

briway, you need the one that you adjust correct? not the defroster like one (not sure if that even comes out)

Correct, the one you adjust. You opened a can of worms. What about the top plastic bumper pad from a second gen explorer? And the little cover that pops in the tow ball mount hole on the bumper? Oh and you happen to see one, I need a tow hook or two that they put on the rear of the second gen Sport(2 door) Explorers. The tow hooks are just below the bumper but is almost an "L" shape. The go up a good ways behind the bumper in order to reach the frame.

It doesn't look like you're too far away. Would you be willing to meet halfway possibly? If not it wouldn't be a big for me to come up and pick the stuff up if you end up getting anything larger or the heavier stuff like tow hooks.

Yea thats what I thought. Unfortunately you have to take your chances with things like that but I can say I have successfully pulled an AC compressor and Power steering pump for a jeep grand cherokee and I got a CD changer for my Ex that was perfect. It is a risk though. I look at the mileage on a lot of the cars and if I am looking for engine parts I look for a car that has low mileage and was just totaled by being hit from the side or back. That usually means things are ok. But again, it is as-is, but with the prices I feel its worth it.:thumbsup:

Correct, the one you adjust. You opened a can of worms. What about the top plastic bumper pad from a second gen explorer? And the little cover that pops in the tow ball mount hole on the bumper? Oh and you happen to see one, I need a tow hook or two that they put on the rear of the second gen Sport(2 door) Explorers. The tow hooks are just below the bumper but is almost an "L" shape. The go up a good ways behind the bumper in order to reach the frame.

It doesn't look like you're too far away. Would you be willing to meet halfway possibly? If not it wouldn't be a big for me to come up and pick the stuff up if you end up getting anything larger or the heavier stuff like tow hooks.

Ha Ha, your going to have your own list. I am not sure what you mean by the bumper pad or the cover for the tow ball. I will take a look for the rear tow hooks but from what I can remember I have not seen too many sports.
As for the meeting half way I would have to let you know. I am going back to school at the end of the week and will be pretty busy, but I might be able to meet you somewhere.:thumbsup:

A lot of vehicles have digital mileage, so you can't read it unless there is power.

Jeeps started with the digital later so i have not had a problem with them, and I think the same with explorers. I don't know when they started going to digital but I am pretty sure all the 2nd gens I have seen were analog. I can see that being an issue with other vehicles, but I haven't needed any parts for other vehicles ha:D

You could keep your eyes out for 18" rims that will fit an Explorer. :D

Oh could you keep your eye out for 2001-2003 Explorer Sports or 2001-2005 Sport Tracs. I need to get the whole grill bumper assembly off of one. Since you say they have good prices there I might come up there to get it. Mine is actually Navy blue which was a common color. Could you ask how much that would cost about?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could keep your eyes out for 18" rims that will fit an Explorer. :D

Oh could you keep your eye out for 2001-2003 Explorer Sports or 2001-2005 Sport Tracs. I need to get the whole grill bumper assembly off of one. Since you say they have good prices there I might come up there to get it. Mine is actually Navy blue which was a common color. Could you ask how much that would cost about?

I will probably not see anything that late in model. They are mostly pre 2001 vehicles. A whole bumper should be around $50 or less though if they have it.

Back