2006 explorer radiator | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 explorer radiator

I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones. Maybe something to do with the early 06 models.:( On the bright side, I did drop it off today, so I'm just waiting for the word.

It's not that I am saying the V8 radiator will never fail. It is just not the common every ~30k miles the V6 seems to have. As these vehicles get older and older, it will happen more often. I'm at just over 60k now on my 2006 and so far so good. Someday it will quite possibly fail, but if it's at 100k miles or more, I won't call it a factory defect. Even if it failed tomorrow, I don't consider my 60k miles extremely unreasonable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just noticed that mine is leaking this morning, it's a pretty decent leak at that. I have no idea where it is coming from since there are so many brackets and shields in the way. Well, at least the rad is covered under the Ford extended warranty. Bringing it into the dealer to get fixed along with the shifter that sometimes doesn't want to come out of park.

Another one bites the dust...

34,000 miles. Original owner. The radiator is leaking at a seam in the bottom of the radiator.

Prior to bringing it in, my temp gauge spiked to Hot twice about 3 weeks apart, and went back down rather quickly. The first time I thought it was just an anamoly, the second time I decided to do some research and came across this thread:eek:

I got home and found my overflow was just about empty. Refilled the radiator and the overflow and drove it to my mechanic. My mechanic thinks that Ford is going to issue a recall in the near future for this issue. If they do not, this will most likely be the last Ford that I own. I will be writing a letter to Ford in case they do not read this forum.

Do you folks believe that the problem is simply with the radiator itself or woth the entire cooling system of the truck. I'm thinking it's the latter.

I believe that it is because of the lack of support for the radiator. I can crawl underneath and shake the crap out of it. There is way to much play and movement at the bottom of the rad. So, the rad shakes and vibrates over every bump you go over. At lease the rad is covered under my extended warranty.

Mine started leaking slightly on the drivers side around 25,000 miles. Kept an eye on it, then took to dealer @36,000 miles.36,086 exactly. (they gave me a little hard time about being over and wanted me to pay $100. They eventually did it free.)
First day they found nothing wrong! I told them it was definitely leaking as I have added 1 gallon mix in less than a year. Next day they confirmed and replaced the radiator.
While changing the oil a few months later, I see the left side radiator support is cracked in half. I strongly feel the dealer mechanic cracked it on the R&R. Oh, well. Today at 65,000 miles, it is still OK. Knock on wood. I have 10,000 miles left on my extended bumper to bumper warranty.

Mine is currently at the dealer now to get this taken care of. Mine was a slow leak at first but then the other day I noticed it leaking really bad (like 1 drip every 1-2 seconds). So off to the dealer it goes.

Well, dealer called and they are replacing the entire rad. Man I am so glad I ended up getting the Extra Care warranty from Ford at this point.

This thing is the biggest POS I've ever owned, first and last Ford, that's for sure!
Rebuilt trans, replaced radiator, now the actuator for the heat is out, radiator or something is leaking anti-freeze AGAIN (new rad is under a year old), 6 disc changer stopped working.

Any opinions on non-oem replacement brands? I have 71k on my '06 V6, so it's just outside of my 70k warranty. Any DIY writeups for replacing. I've done several radiators on other cars, just needing to know if there are any special tools needed for this and what parts I'll need.

I'm fairly good with a wrench, my other car is a BMW e39 540i and I do all the R&R on it. Hoping to find some good resources for quality parts and schematics online similar to whats available for the bimmer community.

Nvm on the brands & tools, i must have accidentally skipped over pages 13&14.

lol jskmiv...you try and post that on explorer fan page on facebook...when i went to voice my opinion that ford should make an recall on the radiator, the people got pissed at me and they are telling me i should watch my language and all that stuff when all I said why isnt ford recalling the damn radiator basically.

It has been over a year since we traded the 2006 V6 Eddie Bauer for a 2011 Sorento 4cylinder FWD. I am happy with the KIA at this point, no problems. The first year the 2006 needed a battery, 3 ABS sensors, 2 radiators, rear wiper motor, ABS/Airbag problems. The problems only got worse as time went on, and for a $35,000 vehicle, it was a POS. The last straw was the water pump bearing went after the dealer used a impact wrench to "tighten" the fan clutch to the water pump bearing. This was due to having 4 radiators installed in the SUV - roughly a new one every 9 months. I know other people hate to downgrade these V6, but let them them pay the bill of $1100.00 for a new radiator at the dealer. You figure with the internet at your fingertips, you can research any vehicle and the problems you may have.

if my radiator goes bad again I am selling the car

The people at Ford customer service are idiots. I explained my situation to them in a number of emails and got a call form someone in customer service asking me to call them back.. So I did only to be told for the umpteemth time, that there is nothing Ford can do to help me. My vehicle is out of warranty and I am SOL. That is what showing brand loyalty by buying 3 new Fords in 12 years gets me.:thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

I think fold trained them not to respond to radiator failure, i spoke to NHTSA and they did they to investigate problem the people where complaining about but Ford decline to let the NHTSA investigate so a recall could be issue. Just wait for some rich dude who is unhappy with car and faces the same problem as we do, then ford would be in court. I know for this my last explorer...the news one are just too low for me. I think if I buy another I would have to get an expedition, but if i want a midsize i think cherokee or 4runner will do it for.

Wow! This is hilarious! I have been having these same issues that you guys have been talking about. From the 6 disc changer screwing up to radiator and water pump issues, now having problems with the trans coolant disconnects to the radiator leaking...I dont know whether to cry or laugh! lol But Im thinking more and more about trading this beast in.:(

Made it 54,000 on my '06 and my radiator started leaking last week. Had it replaced under my extended warranty with a $100 deductible, but I had to pay $102 to have the PCM flashed to the newest program. If it goes bad again when my warranty is up I will probably go aftermarket.

Got my leaking radiator yesterday out of the car.

Special tool required for transmission cooler lines.
7431499lwm.jpg

Leaking only at the drivers side.
7431426fra.jpg

7431427uko.jpg

Sticker shows different part number than the one on the radiator.
7431428fyn.jpg

7431429rev.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the radiator i have is is 6l2z -8005-ad and this guy that responded to someone questions claims that replacing the radiator with one ending with AD should solve the problem for good and make sure that the replace part you have is not AB or AC. I got my sources from these 2 website...

http://www.justanswer.com/ford/2p6e7-own-2006-ford-explorer-4-0-59-000-miles-it.html

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Leaky-radiator-turned-2006-Ford-Explorer-into-a-466275.php

My question those has anyone who has the 6l2z-8005-ad radiator gone bad on them?

If i am going to have to replace mines again and since i have a job now, i am going be getting an attorney and taking ford to court for making us pay for faulty parts thats their mistake...i had it with there is idoit staffing at customer care center telling me to contact the nhtsa to issue a recall...when the nhtsa is one that telling me that ford is not allowing the nhtsa to investigate this problem at all...thats why is there no recall, cause ford knows they ####ed up big time and we as customers shouldnt be paying for this **** and continue to make the new radiators that just break apart...what are they trying to teach us here the abc's

Back