Replaced radiator in my Explorer, what a PITA! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced radiator in my Explorer, what a PITA!

macr6

Reaction score
City, State
Manssas, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Eddie Bauer
Have a 2007 explorer 4.6L EB edition. Had a rad leak (of course). Bought a rad from radiatorexpress.com. Cost me $157 shipped to the house in one day. If you're going to do this I would recommend buying either the Lissle tool; http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-39960-Transmission-Cooler-Disconnect/dp/B000TQ6P40

Or

The ford tool; http://www.amazon.com/OTC-6593-Tran...rer+transmission+cooling+line+disconnect+tool

I used the lisle tool. I 've read a lot of post where ppl said they cut up a platic jug and curled it and made it work...well more power to you. I couldn't get it to work. I spent hours trying to make that work. The lisle part was $13 from the auto store and the best $13 bucks I've spent.

Anyways the radiator was the worst design from ford. It was a pain in the ass getting it out. My rad bracket was broke (not sure how) length wise down the bracket but it still held the radiator. Took it into the dealer for an oil change today (got a coupon for $15 oil change) and they tell me I have a radiator leak. I told him to pin point it and show me when I get there and then he changes to "well the support arm is cracked." Freakin dealers!

The radiator that I bought had some slight issues with fit but in the end it worked. Good luck to anyone that wants to try this. By the way I changed the serpentine belt while I had the fan off. Not supposed to be replaced till 100k I think, I have 75k, but since I had everything outta the way it was a 5 min job. Highly recommended if you're in the same boat.

macr6, congrats. At least the dealer didn't get to hammer you. Yeah, I've had a resource for the Ford disconnect tool saved in my favorites for about 2 years now just in case I need it. Still on my orig. rad @ 95K.......just about to do my brakes.....got a great deal from Advance online. $123 for ceramic pads and rotors for the front. $50 off, no tax + free shipping.

Back