2007 EX Ironman Questions! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 EX Ironman Questions!

dannyisaacs

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford ExplorerIronman
Ok so I put on the Truxxx leveling kit and got it installed..
Put Ridge Grapplers 275/65/18 (32x11) on the Stock wheels...
Rubbed the upper ball joint...
Dude at the tire shop gave me/installed 1.5" spacers as a temporary fix to get me on the road with the new tires..
Looks Awesome, but I do not want to keep the spacers on any longer than I have to...
The main question is this.... oem offset is +44, so at that offset the tires dig into upper ball joint, the 18x9 Fuel wheels that I really want come in a -12 and +1 offset.. Mavericks or Vandals
Is there going to be an issue with either of those?
I just don't want to run on the spacers any longer than I have to.
I will try to figure out how to add some photos also!

EX-DRIVERS-SIDE-COMPARE.png

IMG_3244.JPG

IMG_3259.JPG

IMG_3260.JPG

IMG_3262.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

spacers and added offset are the same thing, as long as your nuts can hold the wheel to the hub face and create the assembly... im going to guess they only added a small spacer like less than 1/4 inch so thread contact is not compromised.... measure the thickness of the spacer and tell the wheel shop your stock wheel size and they will assist you better, there are some wheel calculators that can assist with offset

Your stock 18x7.5 wheels, have 5.45" backspacing (7.5" width /2 + 44mm (1.7") offset = 5.45")
The new 18x9 wheels will have either 4" for the -12mm offset, or 4.5" for the 1mm offset.
THe -12mm offset will give you just under 1.5" more space between the wheel and the ball joint vs stock, giving you basically the same stance you have now with the 1.5" spacers.
The 1mm offset will give you just under 1" more space between the wheel and ball joint vs stock, bringing the tires back inside the wheel well 1/2" from where they are now with the 1.5" spacers.

The 1mm offset wheels will be easier on your ball joints and bearings in the long run.

Thanks for the replies and info!! I really like the "look" of the tires being out as far as they are, but also want to remain somewhat safe! lol
I will more than likely go with the +1 for that reason.

I love the lift of the leveling kit, but wish I could go a tad higher with even bigger tires!
Thanks again for the replies!

You can always add a 3" body lift to your truck... Im planning on one this spring to fit my 265/70-17 tires (instead of doing the suspension lift), There isn't one made for the explorer as far as i know, but the one made for the ranger fits with slight mods.

I just recently went with 2 inch spacer lift and 265/70r17. No rubbing on joints and looks great!

id give anyone 2 of my inches just to be able to drop it some.... it sounds like I am the loner here when it comes to suspension..... if only there was a way to make mine into a 4wd clone of the 2nd gen saleen

Ok so I put on the Truxxx leveling kit and got it installed..
Put Ridge Grapplers 275/65/18 (32x11) on the Stock wheels...
Rubbed the upper ball joint...
Dude at the tire shop gave me/installed 1.5" spacers as a temporary fix to get me on the road with the new tires..
Looks Awesome, but I do not want to keep the spacers on any longer than I have to...
The main question is this.... oem offset is +44, so at that offset the tires dig into upper ball joint, the 18x9 Fuel wheels that I really want come in a -12 and +1 offset.. Mavericks or Vandals
Is there going to be an issue with either of those?
I just don't want to run on the spacers any longer than I have to.
I will try to figure out how to add some photos also!

View attachment 165331

View attachment 165332

View attachment 165333

View attachment 165334

View attachment 165335
Did you change your upper control arms with this lift? I have been wanting to do this for awhile now, but couldn’t justify the $500 for the modified arms.

Did you change your upper control arms with this lift? I have been wanting to do this for awhile now, but couldn’t justify the $500 for the modified arms.
Nope... I didn't. I'm just going to keep a close eye on the upper joint.
I have now installed the tires onto Fuel Maverick 18x9 wheels!! Wishing I would have done this years ago.

IMG_3304.JPG

IMG_3305.JPG

IMG_3306.JPG

I have the same truck, but your looks so much better. I’m currently looking at adding a swing out tire carrier.

I have the same truck, but your looks so much better. I’m currently looking at adding a swing out tire carrier.
I really like the stance and overall look and feel of it now. I'm not sure what all or if anything else I'm going to upgrade!! I'm sure I'll think of something though!! Lol

Looks good, saw one just like it running around a few days ago!

Back