Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

255/55R18 or 265/60R18 on a Gen 5 XLT

Discussion in 'Tires & Wheels' started by sbraab, October 1, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. sbraab

sbraab New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2013 Explorer XLT
      I'm looking to put a set of BFG KO2s on my 2013 Explorer XLT. I have the stock 245/60R18s on there now. The shop is saying go with the 255/55R18, but the one thread I found ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431021 ) has a cryptic comment.

"as tough as some of these 105 load rated tires are I'd worry more about aspect ratio than I would plys. as in - anything lower than say the 60 ratio (assuming stock 18's) then I would worry about punctures as the side wall stiffness wouldn't allow the tire to deform nearly as much."​

Does any on have KO2s on the Gen 5? If so what size? Are the 55s too wide? Can anyone clarify why not go go less than a 60?

Thanks,
      stefan

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. smellthebeans

smellthebeans New Member

'15 XLT
      Your tire guy is correct.

A 255/55 will mount nicely on a 8" wheel. Manufacturers listed measurements for tire sizes vary widely. You would be running a slightly wider tire with an slightly lower aspect ratio on the same wheel. It will look pretty much the same. The most important thing would be if the load range is incorrect. 104 or 105 is correct for the Explorer. I would recommend the Continental Sport Contact 5 SUV. Its a great summer tire. I used them on my '06 Cayenne S. Tire rack is running a sale on them for 149.00 each.

EDIT: if something is going to puncture the tire the side wall ratio is irrelevant. A 55 ratio is still a good bit of meat on the side wall if your worried about pot holes and curbs.

4. Rizthrede

Rizthrede New Member

City, State:
      Syracuse, NY
      2015 Explorer XLT
      Last edited: November 29, 2016
    5. Jon K

Jon K New Member

City, State:
      Newport News, Virginia
      2016 Explorer XLT
      How did these tires end up performing? Any issues?