First gen Explorer vs. my 84 Bronco II. A debate.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First gen Explorer vs. my 84 Bronco II. A debate..

bigswede

Reaction score
City, State
Wamego,Ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 bronco II
Hello all. I`ve been around this board along time but don`t post up much. I`ve been debating purchasing a first gen sploder for quite a while now and honestly wonder if there are any real advantages in the long run. I have an 84 model Bronco II XLT. carbed 2.8, C-5 auto, stock suspension with mildly trimmed front fenders to clear 31" muds. I usually run 30" BFG A/Ts on the street. Axle ratios are 3.73. I have installed explorer front seats and 2 cupholder console. I do like my little B2, it`s the peferct size to me and does well offroad. I have installed edelbrock headers, a holley 350 2bbl carb and a mallory unilite distributor. All emissions parts have been removed including the converter.

Now, I like the looks of the first gen X, both 2 and 4 door models. I understand I`d gain a larger engine, and front and rear diffs, fuel injection and overdrive. And also, a little more room to boot. My issue is, my B2 is easy to fix and stone cold reliable. My 93 F-150 extended cab 4x4 gets better mileage than my B2. If I upgraded to an X, I would gain a lot of techno gizmos that can leave me stranded out in the boonies, and my biggest fear is the A4LD auto and it`s well known weakness. I have heard the mazda 5 speed isn`t very beefy either. So, are the gains in a more modern weekend toy/wheeler/camping rig/ worth the known issues of the X? Opinions are appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd stay stick with what you've got.

You are already familiar with it and I'm sure you're fairly competent in working on it. With a diff vehicle you are starting from scratch and no matter how honest the seller is you will always find little issues down the road.

Sounds like the BII is pretty nice, I'd say stick with it. Maybe get an Explorer if you have the money just for long trail rides where you'd want the extra room/need bigger tires.

Not too shabby..

7612_10150110785741901_514211900_6904038_5747174_n.jpg

Looks pretty good :thumbsup:

Thank you! It`s come a long way..

2047_10150217398731901_514211900_7574825_4512026_n.jpg

2047_10150217398741901_514211900_7574826_3847149_n.jpg

And now..

24406_1338956687378_1634977641_8124.jpg

Hi Kenny-- change out the dana 35 in front, put an 8.8 in back, and you'll have pretty much the same thing. I would keep the bII if I had it to do over.

I would gain a lot of techno gizmos that can leave me stranded out in the boonies,
Not sure what techno your talking about in a 1st gen X?

I had a 88 B2. It was nice. But when it came time to sell it I only sold it because I had too. Several years later I bought a X. The X is a better overall vehicle. But since you use your B2 as more off road, & it looks well worn, I say keep it.

i've bin thinking about pulling the lift out of my explorer and puting it in a bronco ll. how is the mileage in those things? i bet there pretty good with a 2.3 ltr

Honestly the gas wasn't much different IMO. Lower HP engine to get 3Klbs moving isn't good. It did have a bigger gas tank so mileage was increased by that. Although regular gas was $1.20 back when I had one.

i've bin thinking about pulling the lift out of my explorer and puting it in a bronco ll. how is the mileage in those things? i bet there pretty good with a 2.3 ltr

Mine isn`t that great. I have the carbed 2.8 and a non overdrive auto trans with oversize tires. Price I pay for having a far beefier trans than the A4LD I guess.:D

I would say unless you need this:

I like the looks of the first gen X, both 2 and 4 door models. I understand I`d gain a larger engine, and front and rear diffs, fuel injection and overdrive. And also, a little more room to boot.

keep what you have.

here my situation. im over confident in my fab skills... did an soa myself and the new axle pads welds broke.... so you can imagine what the back of my x now looks like after the axel did a 180 going down the road at 30kmh. i can get a nice looking Bll for 1000 and i figure even with pik-n-pull parts its going to cost me pretty much the same to repair my x..... so if people could do it all again would they go for the bronco? or stick with the explorer?

I love my Ex. I passed on a cheaper lightly modded BII for it. It rides nice, can seat 5 and haul lots of cargo. I tow with it. It does everything I ask of it except get good mileage. But my buddy *****es about his gas in his BII. So I think I came out a head.

Explorer. As I said it's a better overall vehicle.

I have heard the mazda 5 speed isn`t very beefy either.

Where did you hear that from?? :confused:

The M5OD is a great transmission. It only has one issue though: shift rail plugs that tend to leak. These left unchecked is probably the cause of 99% of this transmission's failures (their leaking often produces no visible drippage underneath the vehicle either, which likely contributes to this issue not being noticed in time). Seal those plugs in good and you can expect an easy 250K+ from these transmissions.

As for the BII... A few things in it's favor that weren't mentioned:

It's significantly lighter
Much less "clutter" underneath (no spare tire, SOA from factory, fuel tank tucked up at rear)
Shorter wheelbase
Doesn't have quite as much of the "soccer mom" image lol :wtf:

Of course it does have drawbacks too (most have been mentioned... smaller eng, less robust drivetrain, etc)

For my use (camping, mild-moderate rockcrawling in California's Sierras), I don't think the Ex would be quite as good a fit as the BII mostly due to it's length & weight. But everyone's needs of course are different.

I do agree though the Ex is a better truck from the get-go, however a BII can be made a lot better too just by stealing the parts that make the Ex so good and bolting them on/under a BII. :D

Like was said, throw a D35 and 8.8" under your '84, and if you get the urge for more engine, drop a 4.0L with the M5OD in it (will be made 10× easier if you bring the 4.0L donor's dash & wiring in with it). You'll also need a '89-'90 BII fuel tank (pump).

i've never thought of my x as having a soccer mom image. but then again, through 7 inchs of lift under a mini van and it wont look like a "soccer mom" vehicle either lol

Keep the Bronco II, and work up to an engine swap, to an EFI 302. No more trans issues. If fuel mileage is a big goal, for the V8 raise the compression and tune it for that.

Back