How to: - 2nd Gen Gauge Cluster Removal and LED Conversion V2 | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2nd Gen Gauge Cluster Removal and LED Conversion V2

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
This is my second and hopefully much more helpful writeup on converting the 95-01 gauge cluster to LEDs. I have tried 3 different types of 12v wedge based 194 replacements and I have finally found the one that puts out enough light and lights up the cluster evenly.

Here were my candidates.
From Left to Right: Inverted Wedge LED, Refractor LED, SMD LEDs
100_1393.jpg

The Results

Inverted Wedge LED: Even Light output, but not bright enough

Refractor LED: Horribly Uneven light output, Short Lifespan (they started blowing on me)

SMD (Surface Mount Diode): Even Light output and very bright (brighter the the 194LL Bulbs)

100_1396.jpg

Getting to the cluster:

Step 1
Remove the Radio
100_1375.jpg

Step 2
Remove the 2 screws (circled in red)
Disconnect the 5 wiring harness behind the bezel (circled in blue)
100_1376-1.jpg

100_1377.jpg

Step 3
Remove the 4 screws holding the plastic panel in place. (2 are hidden under the hood release) Then pull back on the top of the panel ( it is held in by clips)
100_1378-1.jpg

Step 4
Remove the 3 bolts holding the metal shield in place
100_1380.jpg

Step 5
Remove the 2 screws at the bottom of the gauge bezel (note the wiring harness locations circled in blue)
100_1383.jpg

Step 6
Remove the 3 screws at the top of the gauge bezel
100_1384.jpg

Step 7
Pull out the bezel enough to disconnect the 3 wiring harnesses. (Headlight Switch, Dimmer, and Rear Parking Assist) Then Remove the bezel. (Shifter must be in 1st gear)
100_1385.jpg

Step 8
Remove the 4 screws holding in the Gauge Cluster
100_1386.jpg

100_1387.jpg

Step 9
Tilt the Cluster back and remove the Shift Indicator from the cluster, there are 2 plastic tabs that must be held on each side to remove the indicator.
Disconnect the 3 wiring harness from behind the cluster, then remove the Cluster
100_1388.jpg

100_1389.jpg

Now Hopefully You are holding your Instrument Cluster and can go on to the fun part.

Remove the 6 back light bulbs from the cluster. (Circled in Red)
( I also highly recommend you also remove the THEFT light LED so you don't risk blowing it like I did when I was trying to figure out how to bench test the cluster)
The PC board on the back of the cluster is flexible so you can carefully pull the contacts where the wiring harnesses attach out of the sockets so you can attach alligator clips to bench test.
(The white wires are the - and the RED and GREEN are +)
100_1392.jpg

Here are the LEDs in the sockets. ( I used a bit of hot glue to make sure they didn't come out)
100_1390.jpg

I apologize for not having a night shot of the final product, but the camera I have with me is an absolute noise box and takes terrible low light pics. When I get back my Canon ill get some pics.

Good Luck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here we go, here's a better picture of mine.
l_953b0158467149e49bbfd5428ffa52e7.png

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Did mine a while back, liking some of the blue results everyone's getting, I' got the green ones unfortunately. Tough I completely redid the interior in LED so its pretty nice

I got my leds from Hong Kong and put'em in today, but only the left side lights up :rolleyes:
The light is bright and sharp blue, and I tried to replace the "working" leds (switch over) without no luck. Been dark on the right side for a long time, so maybe I should replace the whole cluster?

Could not find the Cluster on RockAuto...does anyone know where to get it?

try flipping the bulbs. they only work one way since they are a diode and require the right polarity. that is prob the problem. if not the plastic page circuit board might be damaged. you can always take an multi tester and see if it getting power. lastly you can get them for 25 bucks at the junkyard.

try flipping the bulbs. they only work one way since they are a diode and require the right polarity. that is prob the problem. if not the plastic page circuit board might be damaged. you can always take an multi tester and see if it getting power. lastly you can get them for 25 bucks at the junkyard.

Thanks for the reply...and I tried flipping the led bulbs without no luck, so I think the circuit board is damage :(
I located in Norway, so I need the European version of the cluster, and searching now aws :)

Thanks for the reply...and I tried flipping the led bulbs without no luck, so I think the circuit board is damage :(
I located in Norway, so I need the European version of the cluster, and searching now aws :)

You can try fixing the circuit board by running wires. the cluster is very simple design. how different is the cluster? might be harder to find an euro one.

You can try fixing the circuit board by running wires. the cluster is very simple design. how different is the cluster? might be harder to find an euro one.

It's just the same except we use the km/h on the display ;)
I'm not sure my electrical skills is up to do the circuit board fix, but maybe I'll ask a friend of mine.

Maybe there are some european users om this forum who can help getting a used cluster or direct me to an dealer?

I am from Canada so my cluster uses km/h and mph is in small lettering. ebay has them. prob american mph but you could buy the reverse glow and stick it on. i am pretty sure they have km.

I am from Canada so my cluster uses km/h and mph is in small lettering. ebay has them. prob american mph but you could buy the reverse glow and stick it on. i am pretty sure they have km.

Thank's...I will do some searching, and if anyone knows ...url is much appreciated :salute:

Just bought a complete cluster on ebay ;)

was the cluster in km? most will be mph. i just bought blue led's instead of white. the whites are starting to burn out already lol. each bulb has 5 leds and looks like most have 1 not working or flickering. Going to try the blue ones and will post if anyone is interested

I will be changing mine. they are all dying and flicking after 6 months lol

Really!? Is that the life of them? I thought they were supposed to last longer than regular bulbs? The bulbs I have in there now are the originals since 1999, lol.

They are made poorly... Led should last forever, note to people, buy the highest quality ones. It dont take to long to remove the cluster though once u do it a few times lol

was the cluster in km? most will be mph. i just bought blue led's instead of white. the whites are starting to burn out already lol. each bulb has 5 leds and looks like most have 1 not working or flickering. Going to try the blue ones and will post if anyone is interested

Cluster in mph, but I order the reverse glow with km/h in small letters...but I also got my original on the "old" one in km/h :salute:

Well, I finally got the balls to do this. It is just as big of a PITA as I thought it was going to be. It's probably one of the most time consuming and aggravating things I've done to my truck that sounded like an easy job to begin with. All I can say is that the lights are a lot brighter than before, no ugly yellow color any more. If these lights go out relatively soon, I will replace them with normal lights, just so I never have to touch this again.

Funny thing, I pulled out all the old lights and they were all black, haha. Guess that's what happens when you run a bulb for 11 years and it doesn't blow out.

Anyways, thanks for the guide. Wouldn't have even tried this without it.

Back