2nd Row bucket seats and other questions | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd Row bucket seats and other questions

Thank you all for the relies. Looks like the second row bucket seats with console is the way to go.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good Choice on 2nd row buckets... We also decided to order the 2012 w/ 2nd row bucket seats and no console for easy access to 3rd row :)

TxFordMan'

Looking at both the 2nd row captain and bench I noticed that there is a center hump on the floor. With your X with 2nd row captain and no center console does that center hump look odd or interfere with access to the third row? It looks to me that the floor design of the X is intended for either a bench seat that the hump blends into or 2nd row captains chairs with center console to allow the hump to bump up next to and blend in.

bfiftytwo

Between the captains chairs there is a plastic cover screwed down that is maybe 4" wide X 8" long and is about 1" higher than the carpet. I assume that is where the back of the console bolts down if you have a console. I don't love the look of that plastic cover, but it's not that bad and doesn't really affect 3rd row access. The console would be nice being that there are no arm rests on the seats and for the extra storage.
I think it's funny that the 3rd row powerfold seat is controlled, smooth, and extremely quite when it's folding. Then you have the powerfold on the captains chairs. It's more of a BAM-BAM-Done. I still think they're cool though.

Thanks for the info

TXFordMan,

Thanks for the reply. I just got back this evening with the family on our first road trip....over 600 miles. The X did great.....even though I have the A-Pillar noise the week prior.....we left Thursday morning going south towards Portland Oregon with a 30mph head wind and no noise the whole trip. I averaged 21.2 MPG and enjoyed driving the X. Ours just has the bench in the 2nd row due to it seems that every vehicle we looked at.....if there were any on the lots.....none had the captains.....I didn't even know they were power fold until I watched the video that came with all the owners manuals.

2nd Row "release"

My wife and I just ordered our new 2012 Red Candy Ex Ltd today. Had to order to get it with the Tow and 2nd row Buckets (along with the color/interior that we wanted)... Anyway, we have 3 children, 2 of which are in carseats (1 only 3 weeks old!) and our biggest concern is the 2nd row seat release switch. I was just checking the manual and it appears that Relay #10 in the Power Distribution Box (see page 328 in the Vehicle Manual at:
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOBEXP/~MUS~LEN/42/11expog4e.pdf) indicates that it is for "3rd row rear seat release relay". Anyone want to venture to test if this will disable this release button (it is not simply mechanical, as you have to hold the switch for >1 sec to activate it) and nothing else. If no one ventures to try, we will be trying it once we receive our new vehicle.

David & Barbara Miller

I'm not really into pulling relays, but I did go out and found that if you disconnect a wiring harness under the 2nd row bucket it would disable the powerfold feature of the buckets. I also started the car to make sure this didn't cause a meltdown with the MFT or anything:p:. Everything was OK. Good picture of the harness right here http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325537.

With the harness undone, you could still get the seats tumbled. Pull the recline handle to fold the back down. Pull the handle again and the bottom flips up.
Hope that helps you.

Thanks!

@TXFordMan, Thanks, that is good to know. I will try to find out if this connector happens to have anything else on it to be sure (i.e. does the Ex detect occupants in the 2nd row seats?) and if not, this will work nicely. If so, then I just need to find out which 1 (or 2) wires of the 4 are for this feature and disconnect only those. Much appreciated.

Disconnecting under seat affects Airbag system

Need to look for another solution, as pulling the cable/connector under the 2nd row seats did disable the folding feature, but also caused the Airbag indicator on the dash to light up... Unfortunately I did this prior to getting the new car inspected and it failed. Fortunately, it was easy to reconnect to fix... Anyone have any other options?

My wife and I just ordered our new 2012 Red Candy Ex Ltd today. Had to order to get it with the Tow and 2nd row Buckets (along with the color/interior that we wanted)... Anyway, we have 3 children, 2 of which are in carseats (1 only 3 weeks old!) and our biggest concern is the 2nd row seat release switch. I was just checking the manual and it appears that Relay #10 in the Power Distribution Box (see page 328 in the Vehicle Manual at:
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOBEXP/~MUS~LEN/42/11expog4e.pdf) indicates that it is for "3rd row rear seat release relay". Anyone want to venture to test if this will disable this release button (it is not simply mechanical, as you have to hold the switch for >1 sec to activate it) and nothing else. If no one ventures to try, we will be trying it once we receive our new vehicle.

David & Barbara Miller

Relay #10 is for the 3rd Row.

Dont you mean Relay #61 (2nd row seat release)?

Back