2nd Row Bucket Seats | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd Row Bucket Seats

bnh1971

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
Greetings,

One thing I've noticed when trying out the Explorer is the lack of 2nd row legroom. Unfortunately, I'm tall and generally put the seat all the way back when driving. This doesn't even leave enough room for my 5 year olds feet when sitting in a booster seat behind me. THe other thing we noticed is to fold the 60/40 bench seats down to gain access to the third row, I need to more the driver seat forward.

So I've started thinking about second row bucket seats. Are the bucket seats adjustable to get more legroom? Also, If there is a center console, do they fold forward to allow access to the third row?

Many thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi bnh1971,

In my testing with the 2nd row buckets vs bench, I found there to be over an extra inch or two behind driver with buckets. I am also 6'4" and had concern about passenger behind me. The buckets slide about 4 inches - they only marginally go back a little more than bench, but go forward about 3 inches from 3rd row. It was my experience that it almost felt that in driver seat of car with buckets vs. car with bench, that the driver did not go back quite as far in the unit with bucket - maybe a .5 inch less. But if you sit behind both, you will notice more space with buckets. Hopefully you can find a local dealer with one in stock with each option to experience first hand. I'm awaiting shipment of my limited with buckets & console.

My understanding is console does not move.

There is a delay until at least July 9 for production of XLT with 2nd buckets. If you get limited, they have fancy button to release 2nd row buckets - see thread in 2013 order area by me on 2nd row buckets and Alan of Az posted a nice photo showing button.

My experience is that with either bench or bucket and driver seat all way back, they will hit driver seat when try to fold. So think will always have to move driver seat up prior to folding.

Our 2013 has the buckets with console. We find that they provide a nice boost to the legroom of the 2nd row passengers, with the flexibility to give the 3rd row passengers a bit more when needed.

The bucket seat headrests flip down, the backrests fold down, and the whole folded seat unit tumbles forward, pivoting at the front, to allow access to the third row. There is even a button on the door jamb that takes care of the folding and tumbling for you (you still have to flip the headrest down), and it is pretty handy. It does a pretty good job providing enough room for relatively nimble folk to get access. Kids wouldn't have a problem at all.

I would not purchase the buckets without the console though. The console acts as the inboard armrests for the seats, which have no armrests of their own.

Great Info

Great info guys, thanks.... keep it coming ;)

Do the bucket seats fold flat for moving cargo? If so, does the console protrude up above the seats when they are folded down for hauling cargo?

Anyone have a picture of what it looks like with everything folded down?

The seats do fold flat for hauling cargo. As for the console, it is hinged from the front, so when you open it from the back, it opens forward and lays in the gap between the bucket seat backrests. What you end up with is a hole from the open console (which has a little tray that sits inside), and the bottom of the lid forward of that. This creates the flat load floor, but I wouldn't suggest putting too much weight on the console lid of course. An item large enough would straddle the console and spread its weight over the two seat backs, so I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

When I get home, I'll take a pic of one of the seats folded (just one because a car seat is in the other and I don't wanna monkey around with it :)) and the console open so you can get an idea of how it looks.

Here you go!

Seat folded and console open:
DSC_1281.jpg

Seat folded, trying to show how far opened console is beneath the plane of the folded seat:
DSC_1282.jpg

Seat folded, console open, view parallel with seat surface:
DSC_1283.jpg

Hope those help. After all is said and done, the rear of the opened console is close to the plane of the folded seat back. The lid of the console sits maybe 2.5 to 3.5 inches lower, so there is a bit of a valley between the two seats. Helps prevent stuff from sitting right on the console lid.

Darn Packages

There may be a kink in my plan. I didn't realize until I was on the Ford site checking pricing for the bucket seats that you need the 301A package with the limited. Of course, I don't care about any of the options in 301A nor can I afford paying $2600 for the ability to spend $800 more for bucket seats and a console. This makes no sense to me when you can order the XLT with 2nd row bucket seats!(Which it looks like won't be produced until July)

This may actually cause me to downgrade to the XLT or look for other options.

Buckets it is

Thanks for all the information and pictures.

I bit the bullet this weekend and ordered an XLT with the 2nd row bucket seats. It will be interesting to see when the build gets schedule.

I decided to go with Sterling Grey and the black interior.... Vince's looked pretty good.:)

-Brent

Thanks Brent, and congratulations on your order! :)

We really enjoy our Ex. Just took it for a decent road trip and it was fantastic. The more we drive it, the more we like it. Only problem is, we drive it so much, the miles are piling on. Delivered the evening of April 26th, and as of pulling into the garage this evening, we have 5,019 miles on it. Jeez!!! We are going to have to pace ourselves :D

...I bit the bullet this weekend and ordered an XLT with the 2nd row bucket seats. It will be interesting to see when the build gets schedule....I decided to go with Sterling Grey and the black interior.... Vince's looked pretty good.:)...
I hope you didn’t chip a tooth biting that bullet, Brent! ;) I’m happy to keep an eye on your status; just send me a PM with your order number and dealer info.

...We really enjoy our Ex. Just took it for a decent road trip and it was fantastic. The more we drive it, the more we like it. Only problem is, we drive it so much, the miles are piling on. Delivered the evening of April 26th, and as of pulling into the garage this evening, we have 5,019 miles on it. Jeez!!! We are going to have to pace ourselves :D
You’ve run up 5k miles in 54 days, VinceL? That’s nearly an average of 93 miles a day… I think you really love driving your Explorer! :D

Cory

You’ve run up 5k miles in 54 days, VinceL? That’s nearly an average of 93 miles a day… I think you really love driving your Explorer! :D

Cory

LOL, tell us about it. I can't recall having this much fun with a new car :)

Back