302...But not in an Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

302...But not in an Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Clarksville, TN for now...or forever
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 EB
A buddy of mine has found an old Mustang "barn find", an '82 with 70k that has not been started in about 20 years. It is in an akward position that will be hard to winch and he was asking me what he should do if he could start it to move it at least out of the barn.

I recomended changing the plugs, and while they were out squirting a couple of teaspoons of transmission fluid or mystery oil into the cylenders to lube the rings.
Change the oil and go with a light 5W-20 to get the oil up top as quick as possible.
A new hose from the fuel pump to a jug with someone to hold the jug of gas to avoid sucking a couple of decades of crap out of the tank...

Agree? Disagree? Any other ideas?

I'd pull the plugs, squirt oil in the cylinders, and try to rotate the crank with a breaker bar rather than forcing it with the starter. Might take some patience if the rings are stuck.

Other thoughts - you might want to pull the carb and clean it, clean out the fuel lines, and drain the gas tank.

Just depends what the priority is - driving it out of there, or prepping it to minimize possible problems / damage before trying to start it.

Back