• Register Today It's free!

302 from 96 into 94 question

tealtterror

Reaction score
City, State
Murfreesboro, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
hey guys, i am about to swap motors from a 96 (302 V8) to a 94 4dr xlt. both have auto trannys. i have searched for this on here but most everybody used mustang trannys. thats my Q. is the explorers tranny weak or something. after this swap i am going to throw the x onto 44s. i know the motor is strong enough(GT-40 heads and intake) but is the tranny? let me get some feedback. thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, the tranny is not strong enough for that. Forget about using your stock transmission with 44's and a 302. It just won't hold up to that. Besides, with a 302, you would have to buy an adapter to keep using your stock transmission--but with 44's it's not worth your time. I suggest you use the tranny and wiring harness from your donor vehicle. Or you could use a Mustang AOD or AOD(E) tranny if ya want. If you want automatic; that is.

Also, if you want to run 44's you will need a lot of lift, and that will mean you will have to probably go with a solid axle up front. With a 44 inch tire it had better be a beefy axle, too.

Are you asking to use your tranny from your OHV or the one from the 302?? If you are talking about using your stock tranny, then forget it. The A4LD is bad enough as it is, plus no company I know makes an adapter for the A4LD and 302.

If you are trying to run 44s, you will most likely not even going to be able to use a Dana 44. You should straight to a Dana 60 instead. IMO, 44s are WAAAAYYYY too big for an explorer but it is your truck, not mine. Good luck with the V8 swap :).

no, i know the 4ald wont bolt up to the 302. i was wondering how strong the stock tranny from the 96 is. i know im going to need an adapter for my t case too or either upgrade that. i want a dana 24. will that bolt up to the 302 tranny(whats the model number?) or will i need an adapter(if they make one for it)? thanks guys keep it coming.

and yes, i am planning on running hp d60 front and d60 rear with probably 5.71 gears. there are two guys here with 1500 series chevys on 44s and i want to let them know that an explorer can do the same thing, put the explorer name out there in my home town. the longest i will have to drive on it is a little less than an hour home from school. the rest itll be sitting on campus so gas miage is not an issue, anyway i plan on putting in a larger fuel cell sometime to help me out just in case. plus those gears should give me the best performance on and off the road. well, let me know how strong the 96 explorer auto tranny is cause my dads looking for a donor from salvage yards for me to buy(hes an insurance adjuster) so maybe ill get one for cheap. (need one soon cause the a4ld just went out again. its under warrenty so im taking advantage and as soon as i get it out of the shop the motor and tranny is coming out. anyone want a new rebuilt tranny? itll have less than 60 miles on it. sorry its so long but i had a lot to say.

the 96 Transmission is an AOD, plenty strong enough, but 44's will tax the 5.0L drivetrain no matter what you do.

Why not show them that a 5.0L Explorer with 35-37" tires can do anything and more then their 44" Chevys can do?

Gearing, torque, lockers, articulation, and traction is the key, not tons of HP and biggest tires possible......except for the mud pits :)

i have always wanted 44 boggers. theyll give my truck hell but im young so itll be worth it.

With that setup, I'd get a 9" rear end while you're at it.

naw, i want to run dana 60s front and rear. gears 5.71, maybe arb later. run soa with 6inch lift leafs from skyjacker. custom spring hangers in front. warn hubs, run procomp shocks with the reservior. 44 boggers, not sure what rims. need to find a real wide rim, about 14 inch wide. would like weld torque loc but dont think they come that wide. with this 5.0 swap ill have the power for them. run true duals, straight pipe with 3" stainless tips at 45degree angle out the back.

OT: Are you going with leaf springs up front or coils? Just wondering, are you planning on taking this offroad or is it mostly just for looks??

im going leafs up front just like rear. a little offroad but until i get a new tcase, dont want to strain the stocker. i live near the beach so thats why i want arb or at least onboard air, so i can let out tire pressure because boggers on sand is a mistake unless i let them down.

tealtterror, the Explorer AODE is a very good trans.(Books will call it a 4R70W, but other than the "W"ide ratio planetary, it is virtually identical to a 94-94 Mustang AODE)(The 4R70W was made as a 4.6 modular trans-different bellhousing pattern). My opinion is that the Explorer trans is missnamed, as just explained. It is closer to the AODE, so maybe AODEW would be more accurate.

Anyway, the guts are almost all interchangeable with any 1980 up AOD's. These late 90's versions are about as good as they get from Ford. I would recommend rebuilding only one which has never failed. Build it with premium frictions and steels, and a high quality shift kit. I prefer the inventer of the shift kit, TransGo. There kits improve qualities beyond just WOT. The part throttle responsiveness is vastly better than stock, or any other kits.

For high performance use, where 3rd gear and 4th gear will be used hard, install the largest OD servo, OD servo piston and spring. These three parts were about $50 from Ford. Ask for these pieces from a Supercoupe, they are called and labeled the "A" servo.

Please don't reuse your transmission lines and radiator if they have been connected to a failed trans. There will be debris left in them, and that is a major reason that transmissions fail again. Use an auxilliary filter, at the inlet to the trans for a high mileage vehicle, on the outlet of the trans for a vehicle with new lines and radiator.

Good luck, :thumbsup:
Don W

awesome advise about the trans filterand new lines. i may be wrong but is it just an oil filter? i have never heard of a aux tranny filter but again ive always been interested in suspesion, not drive train until now. thank you for all your info, it was well worth the time spent writing it. anymore info like this is more than appreciated.

Back