• Register Today It's free!

4.0 to 5.0 Conversion

Dulut97Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Duluth, Mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Hey, I have a 97 Explorer XLT. I bought it for $2,000 from a small dealership. It is in pretty good condition, other than the leaning suspension, the ABS problems-which I was able to fix, and the broken tailgate-somewhat fixed. I sell cars for a big dealership in Minnesota, and just recently made the decision to keep my Explorer instead of buying a new rig. I am trying to figure out what I should do, MOD wise. I would like to throw a 2" lift on with 33x15s, a Custom Cat-back dual exhaust system coming from a set of Ceramic Heddman Headers, a new Cowl Hood w/ billet grille, a whole new suspension system, and ...... THIS IS THE BIGGIE.... I would like to swap my lil 4.0 to a 302 5.0 V8. Does anyone know a company that makes a conversion kit for it? Or does anyone one know a real good company for the suspension I want to do, or any comments about my plans. Thanks.

33s won't fit with only 2" of lift. Nobody makes a conversion kit for the V8 swap. You need a donar truck and swap everything over.

Sure you can fit 33"s with only 2"s of suspension lift...all you got to do is pull out the ol sawzall and start cutting, then cover the uglyness with flares :). No one I know of makes a plug and play harness...however you can make your own, it'll take alittle work, and alot of reading and learning but it can be done! To make to make it easier find a 2nd gen in the junk yard and pull the engine, x-fer case, tranny, computer(s), and wiring harness and it's not in anyway out of the questions (alot of people do it here).

You have 3 options for your suspension.
1) Torsion Twist, on a 4x4 it's good for 2"s (no more). It's pretty easy, just have to turn the bolts,

2) 1500 buck lift kit...doesn't seem like ALOT of people do that here as the more hardcore offroaders go with option #3

3) SAS (solid axle swap). Consists of throwing away the factory suspesnion and replacing it with a much more capable solid axle

You really should look at your stock gearing, anything liss than 4.10's will really be a dog. For refrence I have 31"s and 3.27's...it's OK on the street (not great), but offroad it's not very good. I am going with option 3 (trail only rig) and will be running 35" tires and 4.88-5.13 gears.

Good luck, lots of info on here
cp

Back