• Register Today It's free!

4410 input shaft filings

reansor

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
I just removed my 5r 55s transmission to rebuild and when I separated the transfer case there are a lot of metal filings inside the input shaft on the transfer case. ???? Does this mean the splines are shot?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What type of metal shavings? Aluminum or steel?

I'm not sure yet. Probably steel. It's fine powered metal inside the transfer case female input shaft, where the training output shaft fits in.

Probably was there from time of manufacture, unless someone else has opened it up before and it got in then.

I just removed my 5r 55s transmission to rebuild and when I separated the transfer case there are a lot of metal filings inside the input shaft on the transfer case. ???? Does this mean the splines are shot?
@reansor
You should be able to tell by inspecting the female splines whether they are damaged, worn, or broken. Compare their appearance to the male splines, checking them also. Those splines are extremely hard, and rarely show any wear at all, much less metal shavings created. If they appear OK, squirt some carb. cleaner in the T-case input pocket to clean it out, then smear a small dollop of grease (vaseline is good) into the splines with a fingertip. imp

Back