• Register Today It's free!

4R70W separator plate question

jamie3529gq

Reaction score
City, State
Lapeer, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Mercury Mountaineer
I have the separator plate out of my trans, 2001 Mountaineer, but I cannot find any images like it on the internet, and I have searched. Just ask my wife how frustrated I was.... she left the room. I have searched with many different search terms, and cannot find an image that matches what I have.

I was thinking of drilling holes bigger, etc as others have done, but nothing matches. There is no hole #5 in my plate. (per all the jmod photos I can find) Anyone know what plate this is? My truck could have a different trans from stock, maybe?

I have new gaskets that appear to fit, although there is a 'hole #5 ' in the gasket. Gasket part #s are XW7Z-7D100-AA and 1L3Z-7C155-AA

20001661734_3a1ed53993_b.jpg
20150816_090910 by Jamie, on Flickr

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

apparently no one else has seen this plate either!!

I ended up drilling two of the holes in my plate that matched a jmod picture, (I think holes 3 and 4) and removing the lower springs in the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulators.

Put it all back together and filled with nice new Mercon V. It shifts with authority now, really like it!! Just all around runs better.

I just had the same trouble you did regarding hole sizes / locations not matching up when I went to jmod the 4R70W i just installed in a project car of mine. My trans is also from a 2001 Explorer 5.0...

Do you still like how it's shifting? No issues? I ended up installing mine as stock, but have since decided to have another go at it, so I'm doing as much research as I can to locate feedback from anyone who has succesfully jmodded one of these transmissions....

Thanks!

Did you look for images on the TCCoA website? they have pretty detailed instructions and pics of the Jmod.

Did you look for images on the TCCoA website? they have pretty detailed instructions and pics of the Jmod.

I did, but had no luck finding a picture that matched the plate out of my explorer transmission. they all seem to be specific to the car valve bodies, which are apparently different.

mine is still running great. pulled a trailer to Iowa and back with no issues. 1-2 and 2-3 are hard shifts though, some might not like it. It slams from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd pretty fast. I like it.

Back