4th Gen Shopper | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4th Gen Shopper

DkN__

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
F250, Escape, other
Hey guys, I just found this Forum, new guy here. As I near 300k on my C-RV I find myself needing to know what will be the next daily (60mile) driver in my life. I've been researching and wow I am missing something or are they giving Gen 4 Explorers away right now or not? 80-130k miles, 4wd, in $5-8k range. Weren't these 40k$ trucks when new?

I've looked at late 90's 4 runners, 2nd Gen Xterras, XJ Cherokees, Discos, Monterros, I've stayed away from anything labeled with G's and M's. I know many of those are a bit more 'off road/rugged but that was just my quest for something in the price range that is rugged,serviceable, with parts avail. Not a real issue with a late model Ford, parts check, size check, fuel economy not so much.

I got 250k on my 99 F250 SD before a spun bearing. Wife drives a 16 Escape Titanium. Love it.

So question is Why they so dam cheap and is there a used buyer's guide for 4th gen that I can research?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are cheap for a few reasons.
#1, The name "explorer" has a bad rep. (everyone I told that I bought an explorer though I was an idiot for buying one, IMO in hindsight, they were not wrong)
#2. Its pretty much deserved.
#3, IMO, 4th gen explorers are way behind in interior styling and technology vs the same year competion. Drive a top of the line explorer, then drive a top of the line commander.

Stay far away from the V6. The problem isnt the engine, but the transmission. A V6 explorer that has not had the tranny rebult, is one that will soon need a tranny rebuild....

I bought my 2010 V6 explorer around 2.5 years ago. At the time the general consensus was that the 06-07 tranny sucked, but they fixed the issues by 2008. Obviouisly that has proven to be incorrect.... Since I bought it I have rebuilt the tranny, replaced the A/C system, both front hubs, (which is a terrible job due to ords porr design choice), and replaced the driver side swaybar link twice due to it simply disappearing as i drove....

You'll do better with the V8/six speed transmission. Agree with dacaur2; try to avoid the V6/five speeds. Though other owners may not agree on this forum, the V6 has some built-in problems that make fixing timing chains a very expensive issue. And the transmissions are pretty weak. I had an 02 V6/five speed that was on its third transmission when I bought it. Sold it when I could hear the death rattle in the timing chains and bought an 06 V8/Six speed. Haven't had any trouble over the last 4 years. (knock wood)

No V6, check. And thats the info Im looking for.. Look, Im a cheap skate but not a bad mechanic. I manage a fleet of yellow iron, bull dozers and such, and all but internally lubricated component rebuilds dont scare me. Well that and rampant electrical issues that have no ryhme or reason.

For the last 170 miles of my F250 I was the only mechanic to touch it. FYI if you wanna replace the tank fuel pump, easiest way is to remove the bed.

So when I saw these trucks south of 8k it really peeked my interest. Styling is a non issue. Size for my kids and my crap and servicibilty/reliability is my main concern. Can anyone tell me what else was that V8 put in?

2006-2008 v8 with 6R60 was used in Explorers and Mountaineers only
2009-2010 v8 with 6R80 was also used in 09-10 F-150's
The 3 valve 4.6 was also used in Mustang GTs from 05-10 but mated with 5R55S transmission

Look close for flood damage. With all the flooding in recent years some of these may be coming from those areas. Will lead to erratic electrical problems, just for starters.

They are cheap because they were some of the last of their breed. Body on frame mid size SUV with large V6 or V8 power.

Accordingly, their ride is more truck like than much of the competition from the era, though better than the 2nd generation since they added IRS.

They are thirstier for gas and handle worse than much of the competition.

The V6 still occassionally had timing chain issues and never got rid of the bad rap they had starting in the 2nd generation explorers. The 5 speed transmission behind the V6 was always prone to failure. The thermostat housing on the V6 often cracked (made of plastic).

The V8 has plugs that can stuck in the heads. It still has the timing chains and VCT system that was not super reliable on the 5.4 engines in the truck. The 6r60/80 transmission is not super smooth in this application (and it was used here before it appeared in the F150's and got a whole lot better - I love the one on my 2016 F150).

The front end tends to eat wheel bearings about every 80-100k, the rear bearings are similar. Front bearings are (relatively) easy to replace, the rears are for a well equipped shop with a strong, strong press. Sway bar links are the usual ford stuff - they tend to break every 60k or so in my service.

Radiators are prone to failure - they leak at the seam between metal and plastic tanks. Telltale will be coolant showing as a drip on the mounting pegs underneath. The Y-pipe on the rear heater often cracks and leaks on trucks equipped with them.

Third row power seats often break and repair is not cheap. The manual seats are better.

Mine is a well equipped (almost everyting) an XLT explorer could have. Sticker MSRP was 32 and change...

Long story short they have a lot of well documented issues (on this site). If you are aware of them and can put up with them, then maybe one is for you. We like ours, but it has required more maintenance than any other Ford truck we've owned (including other explorers and F150s.). It can tow 7200 lbs as equipped (V8 with tow package), which many other SUV's can't touch.

Look close for flood damage. With all the flooding in recent years some of these may be coming from those areas. Will lead to erratic electrical problems, just for starters.
Not just for starters - it would affect the whole electrical system.

:rolleyes:

Looks like you have some comptetition *Registered Smart Ass in all 57 states

:thumbsup:

They are cheap because they were some of the last of their breed. Body on frame mid size SUV with large V6 or V8 power.

Accordingly, their ride is more truck like than much of the competition from the era, though better than the 2nd generation since they added IRS.

They are thirstier for gas and handle worse than much of the competition.

The V6 still occassionally had timing chain issues and never got rid of the bad rap they had starting in the 2nd generation explorers. The 5 speed transmission behind the V6 was always prone to failure. The thermostat housing on the V6 often cracked (made of plastic).

The V8 has plugs that can stuck in the heads. It still has the timing chains and VCT system that was not super reliable on the 5.4 engines in the truck. The 6r60/80 transmission is not super smooth in this application (and it was used here before it appeared in the F150's and got a whole lot better - I love the one on my 2016 F150).

The front end tends to eat wheel bearings about every 80-100k, the rear bearings are similar. Front bearings are (relatively) easy to replace, the rears are for a well equipped shop with a strong, strong press. Sway bar links are the usual ford stuff - they tend to break every 60k or so in my service.

Radiators are prone to failure - they leak at the seam between metal and plastic tanks. Telltale will be coolant showing as a drip on the mounting pegs underneath. The Y-pipe on the rear heater often cracks and leaks on trucks equipped with them.

Third row power seats often break and repair is not cheap. The manual seats are better.

Mine is a well equipped (almost everyting) an XLT explorer could have. Sticker MSRP was 32 and change...

Long story short they have a lot of well documented issues (on this site). If you are aware of them and can put up with them, then maybe one is for you. We like ours, but it has required more maintenance than any other Ford truck we've owned (including other explorers and F150s.). It can tow 7200 lbs as equipped (V8 with tow package), which many other SUV's can't touch.

Thats a fairly decent list of issues. In a used vehicle I usually look for the middle trim with as much as the important stuff and as few as the luxury crap as possible. Electric folding seats are not for me. So something like an XLT V8 with 4wd+lo range. Radiator is easy, Wheel bearings, look for one that has replaced rears. Replace the thermo housing. Rough ride/true frame SUV is not an issue, I often operate an Cat 836H, talk about rough. As I walk through them its not a horrible list of issues....

The thing is any cars/trucks now a days you do research on will have a long list of issues "you may have". MY last three vehicles:
2002 Chevy Tahoe: Transmissions went often and due to poor soldering different control modules went often. Starters went on low mile vehicles.
2012 Jetta TDi - Poor designed fuel pumps. They grenade often taking a lot with it. (Mine went at 15K miles)
2011 BMW 335D/5d - EGR issues, MAF issues, Exhaust tank issues and so on.

Oh my wife's Honda Odyssey has the V6 with VCM. It has a horrible design flaw and our engine was just replaced with less than 90K miles on it.

It's all cars not just the Explorer.

I came here to make a thread about potentially buying an 09-10 Explorer 4.6 and glad I already found one. Id like to get another Limited with the V8 4x4 but cant seem to find any that dont have 100k miles or close to. Like stated, all cars have problems, some more so than others. I wouldnt mind a higher mileage Explorer, but cant see paying $13k for one that has close to 100k in miles.

My 99 Limited 5.0 has 202k miles with relatively no major repairs besides maintenance and some small repairs. Bought it at 136k for $1800 from my friends parents. I guess I'll just keep driving it until it dies.

I came here to make a thread about potentially buying an 09-10 Explorer 4.6 and glad I already found one. Id like to get another Limited with the V8 4x4 but cant seem to find any that dont have 100k miles or close to. Like stated, all cars have problems, some more so than others. I wouldnt mind a higher mileage Explorer, but cant see paying $13k for one that has close to 100k in miles.

My 99 Limited 5.0 has 202k miles with relatively no major repairs besides maintenance and some small repairs. Bought it at 136k for $1800 from my friends parents. I guess I'll just keep driving it until it dies.

Ya I checked daily US wide for mine. Took me a few months but I found a 2010 Limited, V8 4x4 with tow package and navi 900 miles away with 75K miles last month. Paid cash for it and had it shipped to me.

Back