Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

5.0 SERPENTINE BELT TENSIONER FIX

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by BUXTER, April 16, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. BUXTER

BUXTER Elite Explorer

City, State:
    SUMMERVILLE
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2001 MERC MOUNT 5.0 AWD
    - While replacing it I ham fisted the Tensioner Pulley Bolt on the new one using it to De-tension the Belt & wrung out the Threads on the new one - Used 3/8 Drill to make it a thru hole & Tapped to 7/16 - 14 - Much more solid feel as u can use longer Bolt - Used a little RTV as Thread sealant but IMO these should have been Loc-Tited at factory & maybe u cd use Bolt to de-tension the Belt being they didn't give 5.0 tensioner the 3/8 or 1/2 Breaker Bar hole like the far better design 4.6 Liter Tensioner has - Pix are of the old one I also fixed as spare being its Threads were 'tired' also just fm using Bolt to take it Off- & Yes a wood dowel between Tensioner & Harmonic Balancer to De-Tension belt is what I'm using now.

TENSIONER.jpg

TENSIONER 1.jpg

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.