5R44E flashing overdrive light. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R44E flashing overdrive light.

PBerry

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Hello everyone,

A couple of years ago I sold my Explorer Eddie Bauer because of a slipping tranny, now my Ranger has a problem. Not feeling too positive about Ford transmissions............

I've seen some relevant posts, but really none with a definative problem ID and solution. Maybe the info was there and I just didn't find it. Any help on this would be appreciated.

2002 3.0L Ranger Edge. One day about a week ago for no apparent reason the OD light starts flashing and the trans started shifting hard from 1-2. I just started putting it in 2 to start out because the 1-2 shift felt damaging. Sometimes the light would be off and it would shift just fine, then the light started flashing and the hard shifting returned. Searched the Internet and found a bunch of unhappy people with a similar problem, but no answers short of replace the transmission - and even then one guy had the problem come back!

Not trusting your average dealership (I worked at one), I decided to try some things myself. So far I have adjusted the two bands - (120" pounds, then back out 2 turns); had a fluid exchange done (JiffyLube); added some Lucas Transmission Fix; Checked for codes; did a stall test.

I think it was the band adjustment that cleaned up the 1-2 shift, but the light still flashes after I drive a while. I only have a few miles on it since I did the work, so maybe it will clear up -- or come back fully.

There were no codes stored and none appear while the light is flashing. I am wondering if I need a special scanner to read tranny codes???? My OBDII reader not only shows codes, but gives RPM, TPS, MAF, temperatures, O2 sensors....... so it is not completely dumb.

The stall test results for all gears were good. The RPM stayed at the low end of the range that was given - and the engine is running good. The overdrive seems to function normally and responds to the disable button.

Another problem is the 2-3 and 3-2 shift is more like 2-N and 3-N when you put your foot into it. When the engine revs, I take my foot off and it engages. This only if you really step on it and normally I don't, so this might have existed for a long time and I didn't know. I was just driving it hard to check it out. If you just drive normal to moderate, everything feels good including the 3-2 on the freeway.

Any input?

Thank you,
Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When the Overdrive light is flashing, the trans is in "Limp" mode. This is equivalent to a run flat tire. Something is wrong, and the computer knows it. This is a fail safe program to get it to the shop, before it dies from the problem at hand.

I have had my trans go into Limp mode from getting to hot. Resetting the computer by disconnecting the battery for awhile, should remove it from limp mode, if not, it needs to have the codes read with the scanner at the dealership.

Hmm, after my trans went into Limp mode, resetting the computer worked on mine. I never had a problem with it going back into Limp mode again, or the OD light flashing again. Granted mine was just from getting too hot, but why would that be any different from anything else?

Please explain.

Thanks for the replies!

My gut feeling is that if it can be fixed for cheap, I can do it. If it requires major surgery, then there won't be much difference in cost if it's just acting funny, or if it melts down. To R&R the thing and break it down will cost the same either way and the only difference might be some parts cost. AT 78k I'll be buying a full overhaul anyway. So nothing to loose by delaying and trying stuff myself. Well, OK I might find myself standing on the side of the freeway waiting for a tow truck, but I'll try to give up before that happens.

The flashing light comes and goes. If I shut the engine off and restart, the light clears. I'll try pulling the battery, but I expect that it will come back since it clears sometimes anyway.

What scan tool will read the code? My scanner is pretty advanced http://www.auterraweb.com/dyforpacan.html I have the OBDII only version since I bought it before CAN was prevalent, but the functions are basically the same. Although the Palm version doesn't seem to do as much as the PC based one. Are the trans codes not available at the OBDII connector, but at another connector? Is it even setting a code if the light is intermittent?

I asked the Auterra people if they had anything that would read the trans codes and they said "The Windows scan tool might be able to read the failure if you had the S-101 software plus the optional Ford enhanced OBD II package. There is no way to know if the Ford software could read the error unless you connect the scan tool and try it."

I have also read some posts mentioning installation of a valve body kit. My perception is that they unit is structurally OK (since the stall test indicated everything is intact and it shifts ok under less than maximum acceleration), so maybe just a slow valve is the issue.........?

I'd like to know if there is a code first of all. If not, then maybe a VB kit???

Any reccommendations on what to do next?

Thanks,
Paul

Paul, I've had the intermittant flashing OD light too,
which would go off if the OD button was cycled.

A few weeks ago, I did a fluid and filter change,
adjusted the bands, AND installed a new EPC
solenoid. (I also snugged down the valve body
bolts - 60K since last service).

It's been a couple thousand miles since then, and
no lights and the trans shifts fine. I can't say it's fixed
for sure yet, but am hoping. If it's indeed fixed,
I attribute it to the new EPC solenoid. The old one
had been in for about 60K miles, and it does seem
they have a finite lifespan, either from wear or
getting clogged up......

OK guys, thanks for the input. The cleaned up 1-2 shift was apparently wishful thinking since it has 100% returned. Cycling the OD switch has no effect on mine. Still not sure a code is actually in the computer, but I'll look into getting a scanner that can read it if one is there. Will also look into getting the EPC, pan gasket, filter, whatever else. It will be minimum 2 weeks until I can open it up, but I'll let you know how it goes.

Regards,
Paul

Hmmmmm...............

A couple days after my last post the light quit flashing. I didn't think much of it since it has been intermittent anyway. However it hasn't come back. I tried some 3-2 kickdowns on the freeway and it gives a good fast and solid shift 3-2 and 2-3. Since it 'aint broke', I'm going wait and see if it stays fixed. If it does I'm going to guess that the VB was getting gummed up and the fluid change and additive cleaned it up. If it acts up again, I'll be looking at the EPC. I'll let you know if anything changes.

Thanks,
Paul

Easy fix, hope it lasts....

Hmmmmm...............

A couple days after my last post the light quit flashing. I didn't think much of it since it has been intermittent anyway. However it hasn't come back. I tried some 3-2 kickdowns on the freeway and it gives a good fast and solid shift 3-2 and 2-3. Since it 'aint broke', I'm going wait and see if it stays fixed. If it does I'm going to guess that the VB was getting gummed up and the fluid change and additive cleaned it up. If it acts up again, I'll be looking at the EPC. I'll let you know if anything changes.

Thanks,
Paul
Could very well have been the Lucas additive.
I use Lubegard 'Red' in mine.

Thanks for posting, and keep us updated.....

Still good

As a final update it's still running strong, so I guess it's fixed!

Back