• Register Today It's free!

92 X wont rev past 2000 rpm,

backfrmcolorado

Reaction score
City, State
Commerce Twp, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Eddie B explod*****
Hey all looking for quick help. Need to get to work. 92 x starts up fine and idles fine but won't rev past 2000 rpm in park or drive. Tried to pull out of my street this morning and all was well until it hit 2000 rpms. It will run fine under but as soon at it reaches 2000 rpm it pops and sputters and watch the tach bounce up and down real fast. Any clues anyone?
Thanks Adam

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not running rough at idle or revving up till 2000 and no CEL either.
We're having a good thaw outside here in Michigan and kinda deep puddles around on all the streets. Is it possible something got wet and is being finicky?

My first guess is the Throttle position sensor.

Thanks for a suggestion wherer to start looking. Would that cause the engine to cut out and pops and sputter.

TPS is a good start. I suggest a quick and easy test of fuel pressure..

This is a good guide to go off of if you're unfamiliar with where everything is under the hood. However, keep in mind that the pressure specs he has posted won't be the same as on your first gen. I believe the first gens are around 35-40PSI

Benjam :D

Thanks I'll definitely have to check fuel pressure. I have ran out of gas a couple times and the feeling of running out of gas is what the trucks doing but anything under the now up to 2600 rpm runs perfect. I've had a couple people tell me to change the fuel filter. I do know sooner or later I need a new fuel pump because the sending unit took a s**t and have no fuel guage...been like that for a few months now.I did go straight to the gas station and put gas in it this morning)i I have noticed a slight wine coming from the fuel pump and if you turn the key on and off to so to speak prime the fuel system it's loud like it's not picking up the fuel.

Welp went and started the X and let it run a few minutes before I pulled it into the garage and now it's having no problem hitting 4500+ going down the road. Has me stumped. Still think a wise decision will be for sure a fuel filter and depending on bills and what not a new fuel pump in the next two weeks. I'll be back if the gremlin haunts me again.

Back