• Register Today It's free!

94 Mods

BigCountryX

Reaction score
City, State
Douglasville, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Im looking for ways to increase the power in my 4.0 SOHC at first I was thinking of doing an engine swap but now I have decided to rebuild my current engine and bore it out when I do, but I really need some help on any other mod that will increase horse power or torque I'm looking for anything at all, I want to squeeze as much as I can out of my engine and anything else that my be of help would be greatly appreciated

First, your '94 has a OHV (Over Head Valve) 4.0L, Not a SOHC (Single Over Head Cam). Second, the biggest draw back to producing power with a 4.0L is not the engine, its the tranny. The stock auto can't handle much more than it is curently being subjected to, push more power into it and its life just went out the window. As for how to make power with a 4.0L. A ballenced and blueprinted short block w/ mild cam. A good set of rebuilt heads (gasket matched, polished valve pockets and exhaust ports) and topped with a BBK supercharger will produce excellent power. Add a larger MAF, throttle body, headers, higher output injectors and quality exhaust w/ high output cat, 2 1/2" performance muffler and a 2 1/2" tail pipe and it'll be a screamer.

Cheaper/Better

Would it be better to just go ahead with the engine swap? Also would it be Cheaper to do an engine swap?

If you are already set on rebuilding the engine, you might as well get performance parts from Vanir... If you use those parts, people estimate you can get 220 HP naturally aspirated out of the engine. Add on a supercharger and you should probably have around 350 HP at the crank.

An engine rebuild and a supercharger will probably be less than an engine swap once you consider all of the required changes for a swap. I am not sure how much beefing up the stock tranny would cost, but a rebuild with good parts and a supercharger could probably be done for 8 grand... Less than an engine swap.

Of course, that will be just about all of the HP you will be able to squeeze out of the 4.0 after that. Remember, a 4.0 is really just a bored and stroked 2.9, so you really have no boring or stroking room left. If you do put in a 302, you have much more HP potential, and the tranny is much stronger... There are so many things to consider! :confused:

Back