95 Explorer Sport 4x4 - Strong Vibration on Coast | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 Explorer Sport 4x4 - Strong Vibration on Coast

Dan-in-DC

Reaction score
City, State
Woodbridge, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport 4x4 Eddie trim
Help! Just had trans completely rebuilt. Got it back from the shop about 2 weeks ago. Was running pretty smooth at first, except there was *occasional* intermittent slight vibration at city driving speeds (25 to 50 mph). At first I thought slight vibration was probably caused by uneven pavement, as several roadways near where I live had been recently resurfaced.

However, now, less than 300 miles since the trans rebuild, in last few days have started getting even more vibration -- but only on coast. This became substantially worse this morning. Smoothed right out on acceleration, but then the whole truck began to shake as soon as I let off the gas.

When I had bought the Explorer, the seller had told me there was a trans problem, so we had it towed directly to the shop for the trans rebuild.

Previously, I had only driven it across the parking lot at the seller's condo. So two weeks ago was the first time I had ever actually driven this (or any) Explorer on the road, and consequently I don't have any baseline for comparison.

Same vibration happening whether in 2WD or 4WD automatic mode, at speeds as low as 30 mph. Tire pressures are OK, tread good, all wheel lugs are tight. Not making clunking noises such as might be characteristic of bad u-joint. Shook so much today after driving neighbor to work (but only in coast), that I was afraid to drive it home faster than maybe 20-25 mph.

(Not sure if this is significant or not, but sometimes - not every time - it does make a slight clunk when going into automatic 4WD mode. My house sits on a hill and has a fairly steep uphill dirt driveway, and I usually shift into 4WD as I'm approaching the driveway.)

We sort of bought this Explorer for my wife, as my Bronco with its 31" tires is just too big for her to drive. She loves the Explorer, and so do I, and we plan to keep it for a long long time. But now our Explorer needs expert help!

Anybody familiar with this sort of drivetrain vibration problem? Any suggestions where I should begin looking?

Thanks,
Dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just went through a vibration issue with my 95 sport. ended up being the bolts for the rear driveshaft loosened up and vibrated off. had 1 bolt at 2 threads left when i finally found it. since the trans was just done, check all the bolts around it. maybe they just didnt tighten the bolts enough. also, to check the front end, put up on jack stands and remove tires. i had bad ball joints and was unable to tell by grabbing the tire as most people do. it showed clear as day when i grabbed onto the studs and lifted up and down. hope this helps.

i just went through a vibration issue with my 95 sport. ended up being the bolts for the rear driveshaft loosened up and vibrated off. had 1 bolt at 2 threads left when i finally found it. since the trans was just done, check all the bolts around it. maybe they just didnt tighten the bolts enough. also, to check the front end, put up on jack stands and remove tires. i had bad ball joints and was unable to tell by grabbing the tire as most people do. it showed clear as day when i grabbed onto the studs and lifted up and down. hope this helps.

Thanks. I'll check that out. "2 threads left" sounds awfully damned scary. Taking the Explorer to the shop that did the trans on Monday or Tuesday for checkout. unfortunately there's no place to do it at my house. Problem did come up rather suddenly, maybe something did work loose. If I find out what's wrong, I'll post it here.
Dan

I had a similar problem with my '94. It turned out that the nut holding the rear output flange onto the transfer case had worked itself loose.

vibration/auto to manual swap

ok,first 2 cents on explorer forum.... 2 yrs ago had problem with the ex.... truck shut off ,tought of fuel pump,keeps blowing one of the big fuses,don't remember wich one.came out to be one related to a solenoid in the tranny,expensive one by the way.at the beggining had the so called flagged between 2nd and 3rd gear(the truck waass v6 4.0 automatic and remember the o.d lights flashing.went ahead and bought the solenoid(very expensive by the way,about $200@ pepboys,special order and bought a kit with new gasket at the valve body....anyway installed with a new harnees to the tranny,forgot to mention short at the tranny ,maybe caused for the solenoid.then bought the rebuilt tranny kit ( wich it came with something about the bands(didn't do nothing about it) 1,000 miles after tranny broke down again..swapped tranny to manual($1,000 in parts along,had the problem bleeding the slave cylinder anhd finally got hte truck running... a year after ,started following a ghost vibration,knocked down the front drivetrain and still....about to rotate tires and .....voila ,rear drive shaft missing a bolt ,one half way and the other 2 so loose you can tigh by hand....didn't know they need the red locite treatment...luckily dealer sells them for $2.50($10 for the 4 and realized they come with the red, antivibration stuff)...take advanted of situation and replaced u-joints....guess what? no more vibration....2 weeks and nothing.....and by the way if u need help with auto to manual swap email me @ mas@jodehotmail.com or through here,ask questions about the swap...did it myself,and worthy...driving stick now and everybody [MENTION=234476]wo[/MENTION]rk wants to drive my rig....thanks http://www.explorerforum.com/ for all your help.....

I had a similar problem with my '94. It tur ned out that the nut holding the rear output flange onto the transfer case had worked itself loose.

Back