98 ford explorer sitting get for 2 years now won't start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 ford explorer sitting get for 2 years now won't start

Dezertdude02

Reaction score
City, State
Glendora, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer v8
I have recently acquired a 1998 Ford Explorer V8 with a 5 liter engine from my uncle who recently passed away. I don't know much about what was wrong with the vehicle when it was parked other than the fact that it had a broken driver seat due to his weight and he was never able to fix it and get it registered. My dad and I are trying to get it running so that way we can teach his son how to drive in it in a year or so. And in the meantime turn it into a fun desert toy something street legal yet still mildly fun in the dunes. As of right now installed a new battery new fuel into the tank and tried starting starter turns over everything seems fine yet will not start I'm not sure if it's not getting fuel or not getting spark yet any suggestions? The only thing I have checked is the fuel shut off switch underneath the glove box on the passenger side and it is depressed

Pull codes. And check fuel flow...

It's not throwing any codes but what is the best way to check fuel flow?

Rent/borrow a fuel pressure gauge and check it at the fuel rail(Schrader valve). If the old gas was alcohol partially, it may be bad and unusable, worst case turning to black sludge(fouling the pump pickup and then ruining the tank).

If gas is suspected, find a safe way to run the pump to remove the gas, which will let you see how it looks if it's that bad. The pump relay can be hot wired, and removing the filter inlet line will allow the gas to be pumped out. That has to be done with care if needed.

If you know the gas is chemically bad inside, the tank will have to0 be dropped to clean it out and replace the pump etc.

Check the fuel pressure first.

Back