• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer Starting Problems

shorethor

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver Island BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi There,

I usually perform most maintenance at home on my explorer but my latest endeavor has me baffled. A few weeks ago I had problems starting my 98 Explorer. It turns over and everything but it was almost like it wasn't getting any gas. I was thinking maybe the fuel pump althought when I got outside my Ford all I could smell was gas. Anyway, I change the fuel filter first, way cheaper than the fuel pump. As the fuel filter was removed I turned the key and much gas shot out. Fuel pump seems to work. Anyways, after the fuel filter was replaced it was still having some problems starting. I would have to pump the gas while starting it and then wait for the engine to warm up or press the gas and rev it up very high. So, next step, I take it into the Ford Dealership for servicing. They are very helpful (not really). I don't take it into the shop that often as I perform most of the work myself. The fuel pressure is fine! They do not have a clue as to what the problem could be. I still have to pump the gas when I start my Explorer and rev it up until it holds it 1000 rpm and idles itself. I have sprayed carbuerator cleaner into the air intake, checked the air filter, tried supreme gas. Has this happened to anyone and does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Works like a charm

Thanks for your info. I cleaned the IAC last weekend and my explorer now starts like it should.

Back