99 Explr. Problems starting, esp when cold | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explr. Problems starting, esp when cold

anaxagoras

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Whether or not it's cold my explorer doens't like to start up, but now that it's getting colder it is a much more common problem. I have to sit in the car for about 2 minutes riding the gas pedal to keep the engine from stalling out, then after the car warms up it can hold it's own.

Also the oil pressure idiot gauage (this is only when it's cold) does not come up when i start the car, it stays on Low pressure until the car warms up, then it just pops right to Normals. When it pops to normal is when the car can finally run on it's own with out me riding the gas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the intake manifold gaskets. This is a very common problem. Do a search and it will turn up lots of posts. It may even be covered under an extended warranty if you are under certian milage.

same sort of common stall problem

I have searched this site and seemed have very similar stall characteristics as those who have ended up having the lower manifold gaskets leaking. I have not found detailed tips on changing these myself. It seems straight forward, although, I have read that this job is 2-3 hours Ford Book time for the dealer. Is this truly complicated? Looking under the hood, all I can forsee is removing the plastic cover, manifold bolts, throttle body/air tube, and a few hoses, etc. Do I have to mess with removing the fuel rail? EGR? I want to do this myself, if it is simple enough. Any insight in doing this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Amp

Actually I have the same question, Anything specific to know? or is it straight forward?

A couple of members on this site put up some invaluble info about the manifold gasket replacement about 2 years ago. Do a search for threads under their names. "Robert" & "Mikeh"

Sounds like the IAC valve. I had the exact same problem. My mechanic diagnosed it immediately. I got the part from the dealer ($92.00). My mechanic put it on in less than a minute for free. No more cold start problem.

It's a common problem with SOHC's my wife's truck has the same problem, I know how to fix it just doon't want to bother with fixing it. Sence I live in So. Cal where it warm most of the year the truck is fine most of the time. We just keep it out of cold weather.

If your under 72k ford should fix it for free, However if you are like me and over the 72k you can get a fix it kit from ford for about $50 bucks and fix it youself in about 3 or 4 hours. Yo'll have to do a serch for the info, I had it printed out but can't seem to find it right now.

If the engine runs okay when warmed up, it's because the rubber O-ring type seals have expanded and sealed the intake. They are very simple to replace. As for the oil pressure guage, Ford has updated the oil pressure sending units on just about all makes and models. Cheap and relatively simple to replace.

Back