A/C evaporator leak on a three year old car? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C evaporator leak on a three year old car?

Bob in Sanford

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Base
Our Explorer had 36,700 miles on it and "in service" time was three years one month. The A/C quit blowing cold and the dealer says evaporator is leaking. I thought Ford might cover it under the 36K/3 year warranty because it was so close but they would not, despite me pleading my case on their 800 customer service number. I realize that all evaps leak over time due to corrosion but I would never have thought that a vehicle this new would have this problem. You know how much work it is to change the evap...$1400 at the dealer. Not happy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup, I've seen them happen on the superduty trucks as well. Completely rare and random but it does happen early on once and a while. On the SD trucks, the entire dashboard has to be removed. Not sure if that is the case with the Explorer.

Yep, whole dash had to be removed. It must be a problem with the quality control of the evaporator supplier, whoever that is.

I did a search for evap leak and didn't find any guys on here. Seems it is just a bad luck premature failure since it is beyond rare.

Yep, whole dash had to be removed. It must be a problem with the quality control of the evaporator supplier, whoever that is.

Problem with quality control? Like mentioned above, it's not like it's a common issue. There will be a bad part now and again, just a matter of statistics.

Although it has to do with removing the dash, it isn't a leaking evaporator. :thumbsup:
Guess I should have read further into the thread.:(

Peter

The return line from the rear evap condenser failed at 100,400 miles. I had the extended warranty through 100,000 miles, nothing was covered. The dealer can repair it for $1700+. They need to replace both lines, they said there is a lot of labor and rear end alignment required. The hole is very close to the evap condenser, very difficult to splice anything in. I am still deciding on getting it repaired. Ideas? other than installing a block kit.

Back