A4LD Governor Replacement | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD Governor Replacement

Mine is a 94 2 wheel drive and my problem is that it doesn't want to shift into the next gear when it's cold or hot. I can help it shift by letting off the gas peddle and then giving it some gas, but then it's like a sluggish shifting. No slipping at all though, really weird if you ask me. Anyhow I'm going to see if it's my governor or once again my modulator valve that I have changed about 8 months ago or more. Hopefully it's something easy instead of my trannie gone out on me. Thanks to you all for all the help. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it does shift manually from 1st to 2nd. What does that mean?

Yes it does shift manually from 1st to 2nd. What does that mean?
Brooklinbay knows more about it than I do, but mine would not shift either. However, I could manually shift it from 1st to 2nd. In my case it was the governor. The governors only function is to shift from 1st to 2nd. The metal paste that develops in a auto trans seized the piston of the governor and it simple did not function.
A band is a serious repair whereas the governor is not bad at all to get to and fix.

Oh boy that really sucks if it was a band that broke. This also started happening when I was driving it so it most likely is a band that broke, great. And what stud are you talking about and where is it at exactly? Also what are the specifications!

Ok thanks for everything guys. I really appreciate your help. :thumbsup:

Update on the 90 Aerostar Governor:

After cleaning and polishing the governor the vehicle shifted from 1st to 2nd.
However, next time I drove it, it again did not shift right. I could manual shift it and then it would shift fine back in D. But it seemed to need help initially. This is better than it was, in that it would never shift in D. This is disappointing and perhaps the vacuum modulator hose is not on right. I'll check that.
The really bad news is that after a 20 mile drive there was trans fluid pouring out of bellhousing. Checking the fluid level it appeared to be over filled...but it was hard to say the dip stick reading just was not sharp and clear. I let it idle on the driveway with a bucket catching the fluid. Eventually it slowed to a drip.
Checking the fluid level it seemed right, but it may just be splash on the stick.
I fear I have damaged the seal or that after being parked for 10 years the seal hardened and this 20 mile drive killed it.
I think I'm inclinded to try to replace the trans with another from a wrecking yard. I believe I can go as new as a 1994 and it will bolt in....can anyone confirm this? I assume I can pull from an Aero or Explorer. Maybe I can find one that has signs of a recent rebuild

Update on the 90 Aerostar Governor:

After cleaning and polishing the governor the vehicle shifted from 1st to 2nd.
However, next time I drove it, it again did not shift right. I could manual shift it and then it would shift fine back in D. But it seemed to need help initially. This is better than it was, in that it would never shift in D. This is disappointing and perhaps the vacuum modulator hose is not on right. I'll check that.
The really bad news is that after a 20 mile drive there was trans fluid pouring out of bellhousing. Checking the fluid level it appeared to be over filled...but it was hard to say the dip stick reading just was not sharp and clear. I let it idle on the driveway with a bucket catching the fluid. Eventually it slowed to a drip.
Checking the fluid level it seemed right, but it may just be splash on the stick.
I fear I have damaged the seal or that after being parked for 10 years the seal hardened and this 20 mile drive killed it.
I think I'm inclinded to try to replace the trans with another from a wrecking yard. I believe I can go as new as a 1994 and it will bolt in....can anyone confirm this? I assume I can pull from an Aero or Explorer. Maybe I can find one that has signs of a recent rebuild

My a4ld WAS leaking from the seal.. My radiator was clogged causing the fluid to blow out... took my rad out ran water thru it until i got it clean and i have not had a problem since with the seal.

Which Governor is right/best?

This link has additional part numbers: https://www.wittrans.com/SchematicParts.aspx?Transmission=A4LD/4R44E/4R55E/5R55E&LinkCode=680
U56680A Governor, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .385OD) (Valve Has 1 Groove).
U56680AA Governor, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .385OD) (Valve Has 2 Grooves).
U56680AB Governor, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .385OD) (Valve Has 3 Grooves) .
U56680B Governor, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .326OD) 1990-95 3.0L.
U56680C Governor, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .314OD) (Valve Has 1 Groove).
U56680CA Governor, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .314OD) (Valve Has No Groove).
D56681-1 Governor Body, A4LD (Small Land On Valve Is .314OD) 2.3L 1989-90.
S56681-4B Governor Weight, A4LD (35mm OD).

Regardless of what I have, which should I use for my 1990 4.0L Aerostar?
Are the U56680x Governors listed above the complete assembly, body, weight, piston...or is it just the piston.

Cleaning and buffing the governor did not last for me. So I need to pull off the rear housing again and I want it to be the last time... so I want to get the right parts in advance

You should call them or send them an email. They should be able to tell you which one is the correct version for your vehicle.
I emailed them quite some time ago and never received a reply. I just called the Ford dealer and they said the part was on back order which they claim could mean they are no longer offered.

Just called another dealer, and they say it is discontinued.
The part number of the body was E5ZZ7C063A

Looking at the WIT site again, the parts they have listed, other than the weight and body, are used!!!! No reason to believe their used governor is any better than mine.

They have a part number decoder and it says anything starting with "U" is used.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back