A4LD Governor Replacement | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD Governor Replacement

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you enter a part number into the search bar of the site? What about doing a Google search with the part number?

I did find one site that appears real that does have that part number:
http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-housing-assy-governor_e5zz-7c063-a.html

However, I'm not sure its truly the right part....I'm going on faith that the Ford parts guy provided the right part number

Since the body is aluminum and the piston is steel, I would imagine that the body is what would wear and going with a new body should do the trick

After my governor failed again, I never did go back in and fix it...yet. I called a trans shop to see what they wanted to R&R the governor and they said that the governor fails when something else in the trans starts to come apart and there is a lot of debris. The debris that I found in the trans I would call minimal for a trans with 114K miles.
However, when I did remove and clean/polished the governor originally, it only worked for maybe 40 miles and then seemed to gradually stop working. The issue might be that the governor is worn and debris can now jamb it easily, or the trans shop could be right and there is a larger issue. Personally I felt that the governor after polishing was perfectly good with little wear....but perhaps the tolerances need to be extreme for the governor to function in the presence of normal transmission wear debris?

Any thoughts?

That is the aluminum portion which also contains the piston.
When I originally took it apart, the weight seemed to move freely, however, the piston was frozen. Even after I unfroze it and cleaned it, it would not move freely. So I used fine steel wool and soon after it seemed like new.
I'm at a loss to understand why it has again stopped working.
My plan was to buy the new aluminum piece rather than attempt to continue to make the original work. But my issue is that I don't really know why it has frozen again......wear or debris.
But then the front seal starting leaking and I starting considering just donating the vehicle.

The bracket for the column shift is different than the bracket for the floor shift, but they are easy to swap. The 95 doesn't have a VSS on the extension housing since it has an ABS sensor on the top of the differential.

What is the latest A4LD that will bolt right in to the 1990 Aerostar, assuming a Aero and/or a Explorer donor?

1995 for the Aerostar, and 1994 for the Explorer.

Didn't you say that the 1995 Aero A4LD does not have the Speed sensor?
I certainly have no problem with moving my sensors or brackets to a later trans, but if the later trans does not have the right holes, then its not a drop in replacement and probably more than I want to tackle. My plan is to go to the wrecking yard and grab a trans and torque converter and replace my trans as painlessly as possible.

Hi I have a slight problem I'm in the process of taking the transfer case off and down to one bolt that is slightly striped and slightly out of reach I need some advice on how to get this last bolt off please help.

The head was stripped I eventually got the bolt off by getting the transfer case low enough to fit a wrench over and break it loose. Now another question I have installed the new governor is there anything i should keep an eye on any symptoms? the truck seems to be running just fine no rough drops from first to second.

The replacement was used and better then the piece(s) in the truck. What does the sonnax weight do that the stock one doesn't? How much does it cost and do they have facilities or is it order only?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back