• Register Today It's free!

AC not cooling

sempergumby0341

Reaction score
City, State
HANOVER PARK, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 EXPLORER XLT
I need some advice, I had my 93' retrofit last year by Midas (will not touch something too complex) anyways it was running just fine till a month ago where leaving the windows open are better. the ac works somewhat if your moving above 35mph or on the highway and the blower on high but other than that when you come to a light it kicks out warm air. the compressor itself makes a ticking noise all the time unsure if its life has run out. it makes the noise all the time even when you don't have the ac turned on.

need some advice what is the best course of action.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bring it back to Midas and complain that it should've lasted longer than a year. Maybe you can shame them into a free top off and diagnostic.
Realistically though, they have the equipment to do it right. Assuming reasonable competence on their part, you may be looking at a slow leak or something's given up the ghost. Without knowing whether they replaced something (compressor?) it's hard to say what's still under warranty.

My compressor doesn't tick, but it burbles when the clutch is on. Your symptoms sound like a low refrigerant charge.

The "tick" could be the compressor clutch kicking on and off... sounds like a low charge state to me too.

ac ticking

if it is the compressor clutch that is making the noise (the ticking) it sure is turning off and on fast. wasn't sure if the compresor clutch was going bad and I was going to have to spend $300 to get a new one.

You can visualize this fact (or non fact) by opening the hood and looking/listening. Start there.

Back