aftermaret remote start? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

aftermaret remote start?

PJR202

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
I want to add remote start to my wife's 2013 XLT. We just got the vehicle and there are so many lights and buttons, etc associated to myford touch that it makes me a little leery about someone splicing into the system.

Has anyone added RS and it went smoothly? I'd like to get her one that works from her iphone. I had a regular style installed in my Tacoma a few years back and have had no issues.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why don't you purchase one of the Ford systems. It is all plug and play so no wires need to be cut.

There is an accessory for remote start that can be used with an app on your iphone available from Ford accessories that plugs into your existing wiring. You have to check with a dealer about what you need since you don't have factory remote start. Check with online dealers for parts if you want to install it yourself or have a local dealer do it for you. I think you can get it without adding the key fobs for remote start and just use the phone app and it works as long as you have cell service at the phone and vehicle location. Its a cellular module plus the base alarm remote start module to connect remote start and the alarm to your system. You may need other parts if you don't have factory installed perimeter alarm. Cost for cellular access is $50 per year. It has unlock and lock doors, find car, and remote start plus alarm feature will text your phone on an intrusion if you add alarm features. I had it installed on my 15 sport and it allows unlimited range versus the key fob has a max of about 300 feet. Parts run around $300-400 and then you can install or have dealer install. Dealer has to activate. There are dealers online who will sell parts and activate for you. Search for "Ford Remote Access" in the forum and there are a few threads and dealers listed who can help you.

Aftermarket can run $500-$1000 depending on what you want but they have to splice into wiring. Its great as long as have an installer that knows what he is doing!

I would recommend a remote start key (in addition to the phone app system), after all you have to have a key on you anyway. As others have found out the service on the phone remote service isn't always 100%.

Thank you for the link.

I went to my local dealer today. They priced it at $600 installed. Seems high.

Thank you for the link.

I went to my local dealer today. They priced it at $600 installed. Seems high.

For the phone system? Probably not considering SRP is on the Security system which is the first part of it is $200 and the actual phone portion of it is $385. Plus they have to install it.

You can get it much cheaper (around $400) from vendors on this site and install it yourself and they will activate it over the phone for free. Install is fairly simple.

Edit - I should add the if remote start isn't already enabled on the vehicle that does have to be done by a dealer or someone with IDS access.

Thanks for the info.

It was without the iPhone part. I think what gets me about that price is, the labor cost is 260. It literally takes about 30 minutes to install that thing from what I've seen and read. I don't see where the rest of that cost comes from. I'd rather not install ithe myself. I guess I could do it, but I don't like messing with anything wiring or electrical related. I called a reputable custom shop that installed mine and I can get one with app start capability for about 400, and theyve actually contracted for ford dealerships on cars with the mytouch. I'm just gonna go with that.

Thanks for the info.

It was without the iPhone part. I think what gets me about that price is, the labor cost is 260. It literally takes about 30 minutes to install that thing from what I've seen and read. I don't see where the rest of that cost comes from. I'd rather not install ithe myself. I guess I could do it, but I don't like messing with anything wiring or electrical related. I called a reputable custom shop that installed mine and I can get one with app start capability for about 400, and theyve actually contracted for ford dealerships on cars with the mytouch. I'm just gonna go with that.

What system did they quote you then? My guess is ANOTHER misinformed dealer that is just out to rip people off. There is nothing to install with the basic system. You buy a key and have the dealer activate the ALREADY BUILT IN remote start. Do NOT go installing aftermarket stuff.

What system did they quote you then? My guess is ANOTHER misinformed dealer that is just out to rip people off. There is nothing to install with the basic system. You buy a key and have the dealer activate the ALREADY BUILT IN remote start. Do NOT go installing aftermarket stuff.

So what you're saying is that my 2015 XLT already has remote start built into it and that it's just not activated because I don't have the proper key fob?

The Ford remote start is junk. Way overpriced with horrible range. I scooped up a viper for my car, it was about the same price but way better and more features. Mine has a 1 mile range on it. I wanted to get smart start but I hear bad things about it

The Ford remote start is junk. Way overpriced with horrible range. I scooped up a viper for my car, it was about the same price but way better and more features. Mine has a 1 mile range on it. I wanted to get smart start but I hear bad things about it

How much was your Viper and which system did you get? Does it enable climate features like the OEM system does? The cost of the OEM system really depends on if your dealer is truthful or out to get you. If you are good you could realistically pick up a inexpensive key from eBay or vendor that sells it for a descent price, have it enabled and not spend more than $100 or $125.

Everyone has their opinion on remote start systems.

Back