blueka

Elite Pickler
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 UK XLT, 99 Sport V8,
When you put the cruise control on, is there a light that's supposed to come on, on the dashboard to remind you that its on?

cos nothing lights up on mine...

Si

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

as you look at the dash a green circle on the left lights up

i'm pretty sure that ford put the circle on the dash for the cruise control after 2002.

till 2001 the cruise control light on the right side of the dash with green letters that saying cruise control.

not on my one it don't lol... but then that doesn't surprise me.. it should be yellow, not black... as it's more of a lemon!!!

Si

This could be a symptom of a shorted cruise control cutoff switch, located on the master cylinder. it is the component in question for the recent recall, and if shorted would give a no cruise control symptom.

better safe than sorry, Id check it. supposedly, if it is made of red plastic, it is questionable
Jon

jtsmith said:
This could be a symptom of a shorted cruise control cutoff switch, located on the master cylinder. it is the component in question for the recent recall, and if shorted would give a no cruise control symptom.

better safe than sorry, Id check it. supposedly, if it is made of red plastic, it is questionable
Jon

Do you know which years they have recalled? Or direct me to a thread on it?

Mine appears to be leaking and I lost cruise control recently.

Thanks

There is a diagnostic test that you can run that should light the cruise control light:

Attachments

• cruisediag.jpg
    cruisediag.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,524

Tried to do the above diagnostic except as soon as the key hits the on position, I get 6 flashes of the cruise light instead of one. Could this mean the first flash was signalling that diagnostic mode was entered followed by 5 flashes to signify the speed control server is bad?

EDIT:
Looks like I found my answer, google picked up another site with an almost identical test
Self-Test Diagnostics

WARNING:
This test is a key on engine off (KOEO) test only that is conducted in park only with emergency brake fully engaged.

l Enter Self-Test Diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator lamp on the instrument panel will flash once to indicate that the speed control module entered the diagnostic mode. Five additional flashes at this point indicate a defective speed control servo. Release the OFF switch.

l Note:
If the ON switch is not pressed within five seconds after entering diagnostic mode, the module times out and the procedure must be started over.

Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RSM (resume), CST (coast) and SET/ACCEL.

l The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is pressed. Press each switch in the sequence immediately after the light goes out for the previous switch.

l After all five speed control switches complete the sequence, the indicator lamp will flash to indicate a pass or fail:

— 1 flash - Test passed (with dynamic throttle pull).

— 2 flashes - BPP switch is defective, circuit is defective or brake pedal is applied; CPP switch is defective, circuit is defective or clutch pedal is applied.

— 3 flashes - Brake deactivation switch is open or circuit is defective.

— 4 flashes - Vehicle speed sensor is out of range or not connected.

l Immediately after the static test has passed, the speed control servo will then perform a dynamic test automatically by actuating the throttle lever from 1 mm to 10 mm of travel from the idle position. During the dynamic throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the actuator cable, verify the correct connection of the actuator cable to the throttle lever, and make sure the throttle returns back to the idle position. If improper connection and/or binding or sticking of actuator is observed, go to Symptom Chart.

l Return the ignition switch to the OFF position and proceed to Symptom Chart.

Does anybody know if this diagnostic applies to a 1993 Ranger V6 3.0 and does it also have a dash light indicating when the cruise is on?

I tried the above procedure but nothing happens when I turn the key on with the off switch depressed.

The cruise control hasn't worked for years and I finally got down to troubleshooting it. Tried just about all of the tests that the forums have suggested to no avail :servo tests ok (activates throttle, resistance tests ok, . on/off coast/resume/ all work, cleaned steering wheel slip ring and contacts, brake switches, clutch switches and even tried another speed amp and still no cruise!

Is there a good wiring diagram available somewhere?

Thanks!

I'm on my forth ex. All 1996-1998. Two of them had no light on two did. Im going for it being a bulb!!!

Back