Apten Chip still the best?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Apten Chip still the best??

Yes, we both have the same software, but its the tunes that count. I have re-tuned countless Apten chips and have had nothing but compliments.

celly said:
Wayne (HypIllAuto) and Doug (Doug904) both have their own tuning businesses. BOTH sound quite capable. I'm sending my Apten chip to Wayne some time soon to get another program added to my Apten chip. Both can re-program Apten chips, assuming they're Superchips (and not Diablo) based. No companies (including Apten) have their own chips. They just program them. Older Apten chips are Diablo based. Newer ones are Superchips based.

I dealt with "Gene" at Apten when I bought mine several months back. Apten has a decent product, but their customer service seems to be lacking. I got great service.....once I was able to actually contact them. They didn't really return emails and I hit a busy signal often when I first tried. I'd give these other guys a shot. They seem eager to please.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wayne,

It looks like I might be able to do this sooner than later. Where can I find the computer code you need? Also, If I go with a 2 program flasher can I later ship it back to you for a 3rd? I should know for sure tomorrow if I can do this.

Under the hood, on the drivers side firewall is where the pcm is located. The code is on a white sticker on the pcm itself, it will be a 4 digit code (3 letters 1 number) KRN1 for example
Yes, I can add programs later for you, no problem.

smiley1 said:
Wayne,

It looks like I might be able to do this sooner than later. Where can I find the computer code you need? Also, If I go with a 2 program flasher can I later ship it back to you for a 3rd? I should know for sure tomorrow if I can do this.

I contacted Apten within the past couple months for a chip because of all the great press on this site, so I'll add my experience to this thread.

I used the www.apten-us.com website since it was listed on this board and because it was the first result in a Google search for "Apten chip". I installed the chip and noticed very harsh shifts, so much so it felt like my transmission was going to break. A few days later the "check engine" light started illuminating.

Instead of dealing with reburns and reinstalls I wanted to return it. After all, that website said "We offer a 30 day money back customer satisfaction guarantee as well as a lifetime warranty on the chip. Rest assured, you are purchasing a proven product."

They wanted to keep 20% of my money, saying that website is outdated (how could I know) and they have a new return policy. They finally agreed to just keep 10% of my money, even though their product was faulty in the first place. Needless to say the chip was a waste of my time and money.

I am sorry to hear about your poor experiences with Apten..

I also had those same two problems with my programming from them.

When Doug was looking at my Apten tune, I informed him of the shift problem and he found them set at 15 PSI. He told me that typically they up them to 5 PSI and around 10 if the customer wants a hard shift 15 is a lot.

As to the check engine light I am curious if you had the same error codes I did
P1131 and P1151

dreamr, That's interesting that the shifts weren't programmed correctly for you either. Apten must have great quality control...

I didn't even scan the codes for the CEL. The car ran great before the chip and I checked the board when I saw the CEL a few days after installing the chip. Sure enough, others had that problem, so out it came. (I did clean the maf sensor just to be sure, but the light returned a few days later with the chip.) Another 900 or so miles since chip removal and no CEL.

I'm still keeping my eyes open for a good chip or flasher solution for this vehicle, but IMO the Apten chip I was sent was lousy at best and not returning all my money was a real scam.

Doesn't Brian from Apten now work over at SCT? My Apten experience was perfect, he even sent the chip out before he had payment.

Brian is now the General Manager at SCT. BUT, he is not in the sales end. He trained (seemingly half a$$) the guys that were taking over Apten, and went to his new digs. From what I have seen on this and other forums, when he left, the Apten of old whithered away to be replaced by the cesspool that I hear about now.
huskyfan23 said:
Doesn't Brian from Apten now work over at SCT? My Apten experience was perfect, he even sent the chip out before he had payment.

so whats the difference between an actual chip and a flasher, im a bit lost...

They both hold the same programs and parameters.
The main difference is that with the chip, you have to pull the pcm, sand the connectors, and there is always the chance that you will have to pull the pcm again if the connection isnt good. Or if you drive rough or 4wheel, there is a BIG chance that as you are off roading or driving on some rough roads, that the chip will vibrate loose or shift. Once this happens, the vehicle will run rough, possibly not run at all. You will have to pull the battery neg cable, pull the pcm out, reset the chip in its port and retape the chip in. It can be a hassle.
With the flasher, you plug into the OBD2 port, select your program 1-3, turn the key on, and it takes over. It downloads your factory program to the box, then uploads the new program on its own. No muss, no fuss.
The only other issue is, the vehicle must be OBD2 to use the flasher, if its not, then the chip is the only way to go.
With yours being a 98, it IS OBD2, so I would suggest the flasher.

Tuning Section

You can see a pic of both chips here, and the Xcalibrator flasher is under the vehicle list.

liv2surf34 said:
so whats the difference between an actual chip and a flasher, im a bit lost...

I assume that the flasher will only work for the truck it was originally programmed for, but can it be reprogramed for a different truck. I may have the opportunityto pick up a used flasher and i'm wondering what's involved in a reprogram.

Lee

A flasher sounds like the way to go, so another question, when modding my EX should i wait and do the chip last, or is it just as easy to get it now and have it re-flashed...how much is a flasher anyways?

EDIT- And also if you want to change programs you gotta come back to the garage correct? Or is the flasher small enough to keep in the truck?

EDIT- And also if you want to change programs you gotta come back to the garage correct? Or is the flasher small enough to keep in the truck?

It will fit in your glove box. The flasher is very nice and easy to use. I almost got a chip. Im glad I didnt.

Lee,
It depends on the flasher. If it is an SCT 9100 Blue handheld or Black Xcalibrator model, then yes it can be reprogrammed. As long as the previous owner has put his vehicle back to stock with the flasher. Once it has been used on a vehicle, it is VIN locked to that vehicle until it has been returned to the factory setting with the flasher.
As long as that has happened, you can send me the flasher, I can program it to your vehicle. To reprogram it, I would need your pcm code, and a mods list, along with your driving habits, reg or premium fuel, and any special requirements you have ( aggressive shifts, etc)

Lee S. said:
I assume that the flasher will only work for the truck it was originally programmed for, but can it be reprogramed for a different truck. I may have the opportunityto pick up a used flasher and i'm wondering what's involved in a reprogram.

Lee

I can program it to enhance your vehicle as it is. I can also preprogram for any upcoming mods you have in mind. The flasher holds 3 programs plus the stock file it downloads from the vehicle. On changing the programs, SCT has a program with cable available for purchase, that I can send you the program files and you can load them to the XCalibrator, or Blue 9100 Handheld from your personal PCM.

liv2surf34 said:
A flasher sounds like the way to go, so another question, when modding my EX should i wait and do the chip last, or is it just as easy to get it now and have it re-flashed...how much is a flasher anyways?

How much are these flashers?

Back