Arizona Run March 16-17 2002 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Arizona Run March 16-17 2002

Who let the dogs out?

The advantage of being a Big Dawg is you can just bark if you want to....You don't have to bite.

No one will give you any grief for taking a bypass. However, in all the runs I've done in the past...Peer pressure has got me over most obsticles, including Potato Salid Hill after Rick lifted a tire 5' in the air. I still hear Char yelling "Strap!" anytime I teter a wheel in the air now.

Ahhhh. The memories.

Looking forward to it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ahhh how the stories grow:D
moab_rickair.jpg

As you can see we weren't hanging the tire 5 feet in the air :D

I hate reality.....

Wheres Photshop when you need it? :)

OK, it was 35"'s ( Maybe ), But sure seemed like 5' to me at the base. Maybe it was just my nerves or the fact that I had 7 patches in my sidewall of my tire.

Still it was fun.

Remeber the game " Have you rolled your Ford Rep Lately" ?

Well I'm in. Sounds like great trails!!!! in your neck of the woods.

Rick if something comes up job wise for me on Monday and I have to fly out on Sunday would you be available for some pre-runs during the week, say 13-14-15. I'd sure hate to pass this up.

Tom FAKRWEE

Tom,

Sure that sounds good, but we may not pre-run the trails for the event. We still haven't decided which side of town to hold the event on. East Valley has some great moderate and difficult trails all within a short distance of each other.

The trails in the North Valley are more spread out. And it's a long drive between the two areas so I don't think it would be good to do one area one day and the other the other day.

There are plenty of trails in the North Valley for all levels, but they aren't all in the book. Most likely we will have trip leaders who will be navigating souly from the book and GPS, since I don't have many Explorer guys around me to pre-run and lead moderate trails:(

Ahemm that's a hint to the AZ Explorer guys!

Sounds great Rick. You know me, all I need is a dirt trail and some rocks. If I don't have to work than it'll be with the group. If not we can decide later were we would go so I can try and use my hotel points to book a room.

Tom FAKRWEE

Originally posted by Rick
Ahhh how the stories grow:D
moab_rickair.jpg

As you can see we weren't hanging the tire 5 feet in the air :D

Rick, you went airborne when your right front tire hit the bottom of that rockpile and your left rear simultaneously dropped in a hole. Look straight down to the bottom of the rockpile, not perpendicular to your vehicle angle where you ended up in the climb.

You were five feet up.

That's five feet at an angle backwards. But only two feet max between the tire and the ground. If enough weight could be added to the front right corner the tire would contact the ledge parallel to the other front tire. The back left would have then come up the same distance, about two feet.

Here are a couple more airborne Pumpkin shots :D

PB080805.jpg

PB080831.jpg

This shot was taken just after the tire was hanging 4 feet over that hole.

We drove out of both of those unassisted... except for Matt running over and pushing or pulling on the bumper I'm not sure what he was trying to do:D

PB080845.jpg

Now that is serious air! Jeremy Hammer is about 6'6".

Okay, I'll acquiese, but not without a fight. :)

You are so humble. Even by using your definition and looking at the line projecting from your tire, it's more than your tire's diameter to the ground even if a Sumo weighted your front down. You've got 33" tires there, so that's still three feet, not two (you wouldn't land on top, but down in the obstacle).

I know you and Char were inside and couldn't see what I saw, but I watched the event happen and it was awesome no matter how much you humbly brush it aside as no big deal. You went up it fast, remember? You didn't crawl up that line under your right front tire, you hit it hard. When you hit that bottom rock on the right you went straight skyward and I absolutely guarantee you that I could have stood at that rock under your right front tire and I am 5'7".

Well, 5'6", But 5'7" sounds bigger. Every inch counts to us short guys. :D

Originally posted by Rick
How about some more sign ups for the Arizona run. Come on where's all the Big Dawgs :D

If I get my lockers I will run big Dawg hell I may even if I don't. Come on I was the only non suspension altered X to make it up Wheeler lake at CCR. and now I have the 5.5 and will have 35's by then

can I be considered a BIG DAWG if I get a rear locker installed? Or is that after you tackle a 4 rated trail?;)

Rick, if you are still compiling a list of people to go... count me in, Please!! I don't know how I ever missed this thread; but I found it now and I'd love to go. I've been meaning to find others in AZ that I can go wheel with and learn from... this would be great. Thanks.

Douglas Emerson-- Becker69:eek:

Just make sure you fill out the sign up sheet: Dead Link Removed

Im in!

Well it looks like Kelly and I will be able to make this run. Our home will finish completion and closes at the end of April. However we will be out there by March 1st. We purchased a home outside of Phoenix in Avondale. :)

Congratulations on the new home! It will be good to have you out here.

Rick, I completed the sign-up form, did you receive it? I hope it went through correctly. Hopefully I'm good to be added to the list you have up at the top of this thread. Are any others planning on going, that have minimal changes over stock, or are stock...? I hope I'm not too limited due to clearance/tire traction issues.

Rick, I have read the list (that was attached to the first post by you on this thread) of the minimum trail requirements of items to bring along and I wondered if there were any other (relatively inexpensive) things/mods that a 'stocker' like myself would want to do prior to this run that might make it a little more enjoyable? And where can I get a "D" ring that is rated for more than 2000 pounds? That is the strongest I have found. Thanks.

Ok, I've go you on the list. We are up to 25 now.

Most important stuff for a stocker is a good full size spare, tow strap and a tow point. You can get the D-rings at a lot of the 4x4 shops. They sell them with their winching aids.

You may want to start a thread to ask if anyone know a place in your area to find one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I may try to make it to this one, it sounds like a good time, plus I have some relatives I seriously need to visit in arizona that I haven't seen in years. Rick, how far out of phoenix is this? I couldn't find a map or anything. Just curious cause I know some relatives would let me stay with them but if its too far away then that wouldn't really be feasable :)

Back