Basic off-road mods? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Basic off-road mods?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Warrior products shackles which can be purchase at desertrat.com and Twist the torsion bars and a 3 BL because you don't gain ground clearance with a suspension and they are way too expensive. BL can be purchased at suspensionconnection.com part # PA 883 for the 98-2000 ford ranger. That will give you enough clearance to clear 33's for about 260.00 bucks.

I'd say lockers, but can lockers go into the rear of an AWD? If it can, I'd say do that soon. Traction is unbelievable.

Anyway, I'd say lockers, but can lockers go into the rear of an AWD? If it can, I'd say do that soon. Traction is unbelievable.
:thumbsup:

Like they have said, start out with warrior shackles in the rear to bring it back up.
You can fit 31x10.50r15 tires on a stock explorer, so there is a good place to start. If you use a 3" body lift you should be able to clear 33x12.50's on a 15x8 wheel.
An aussie locker can be bought for about 260 for the rear end, but does not work if you truck has a limited slip in it already. When you go offroad, disconnecting the sway bars with give you much better suspension articulation also...
One great mod would be to switch to a manual transfer case instead of the AWD, a few here have done that.

Another vote for Aussie, I love mine. It's been really fun in the snow too.

I would say that the first thing anyone would need to do is get a decent set of tires, wheel it a while, and then decide if you want to lift, lock, or do anything to it. You may find that you dont want, need a lift and that tires are good enough for you.

I have owned 3 and previously been too much of a panzy to change **** other then radios or intakes or exhaust... This one I did the shackle only and tt up front gave me about 1.75 inchs and then 31's and I love how she sits.. lost no gas mpg and no perf I could tell.... I highly suggest that it gives you a nice look good clearance BUT i'm already trying to budget a 3 in body lift and 32's or 33's.... its addicting so be careful

I would tell you that unles you want to rock climb or woods run.. the shackles tt body lift and 33's should make you more then happy.. I am going to park next to a stock ex and snap some pictures so you can see the HUGE difference 3.5 inchs make

SIZE DOES MATTER

Back