Battery: Best way to minimize charge loss when parked for extended periods? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery: Best way to minimize charge loss when parked for extended periods?

kls490

Reaction score
City, State
Williamsburg, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Good morning everyone,

It's been a while since I last posted. Here is my current situation and a question I have:

I'm largely-housebound most of the time now (age/deteriorating health issues), so my 2002 Explorer is not driven much (perhaps 2 times a week to the grocery store 1/2 mile away, and back, and once or twice a month to the VA Hospital 32 miles away).

Since it remains parked for extended periods (year-round), what is the best way to help keep the battery from losing too much of its charge? (Especially in cold weather, i.e. temps in the 20's - 30's).

Thank you for your time and any advice!

Happy Holidays to everyone too! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trickle charger.
If you want to get fancy, you can install the power plug off the back of a computer, bolt the trickle charger somewhere under the hood, and just plug your car in to an extension cord when you get home.

Much obliged for your feedback, Number Twelve!

Unfortunately...being as 'non-mechanical' a person as I am, and living in a small apartment...I wouldn't be able to accomplish the task. (I'd probably end up blowing something to pieces) :eek:

Cheers!

There are also companies that make them as a solar pad you can place on you dash and plug into the cigarette lighter.

Hi shucker1, and thanks very much for the info!

I probably should mention that my present way of dealing with the issue I inquired about is to go out and let the Explorer sit and idle for about 15 - 20 minutes every other day (unless I'll be driving somewhere). Not really sure how helpful my current method is though.

Much obliged for the additional info and link, shucker1.

I'll go give it a look-see shortly.

let the Explorer sit and idle for about 15 - 20 minutes every other day
I think that's a big fat waste of gasoline and engine hours compared to an external electric source, whether it is a trickle charger or a solar panel or something else equally innovative.

I kept a car alive on the back porch for a year with a low current trickle charger. It started right up and went home, 800 miles away, when my sister came to claim it.

I don't have experience doing this to an ecu car but in theory it should work the same.
The key is to just get a battery disconnect. Yes this means you will lose all of your programmed radio stations but theoretically you would just be resetting the ECU (the 10 minute reset that people do when their cars start acting up). Just that instead of doing it for 10 minutes you are doing it for 24 hours or more. I would say the easiest would be to call the dealership and ask the downsides to pulling the battery for say a month (any length of time much longer than you anticipate). If they don't say anything detrimental then give that a try. With our jeep at home I disconnect the battery after every use knowing that the next time I will start it will be 6+ months later. upon reconnecting the battery months later it always starts right up no extra charging needed.

I know that was long winded but I hope it helps.

The key is to just get a battery disconnect.
Nope. Gotta call BS. This problem isn't about parasitic loads, it's about never getting the battery charged up all the way because it rarely goes anywhere. Disconnecting it will not help charge the battery between short trips.

I don't have experience doing this to an ecu car but in theory it should work the same.
The key is to just get a battery disconnect. Yes this means you will lose all of your programmed radio stations but theoretically you would just be resetting the ECU (the 10 minute reset that people do when their cars start acting up).

Not really a cool idea. Electronic processors in newer cars are kind of finicky creatures in my opinion. The idea of taking away their power and resetting them all the time just doesn't sit right with me.

That one little stray spark when you hook the battery back up can spell the end for micro electronics.

Thanks very much to everyone who's provided feedback/info regarding the issue I inquired about!

It will take me a while to 'digest' it all, so-to-speak.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

NP.

We are here to help.

On sale, get it while it's cheap! Just stick the solar panel on your dash-

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200655383_200655383

this is a good deal!!!! I need this on my navigator (won't fit in the garage and the battery is weak because it's being used only on the weekends, worst during winter)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00BIO04AS

Wow, 100.00 difference on the same item. Amazon WTF?

Edit, not the same after all. Northern tool is selling a more powerful version. And it looks like suction cups are provided to attach it to the windshield.

Initially I have some questions:
1.) Is it actually not starting for you on these bi-weekly trips to the grocery store?
2.) What is the condition of the current battery?
3.) Is it 100% charged when returning from the VA?
4.) How old is the battery?

If losing its charge between trips to the grocery store, I would suspect two things 1.) Weak battery OR 2.) Parasitic drain.

Trying not to complicate things too much here.

I think the OP (KLS490) just doesn't use the truck that much anymore.

Not that it doesn't start.

It's just the fact that he wants it to start when he needs it to.

Therefore, something along the lines of a Solar powered battery maintainer should suit his situation just fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Initially I have some questions:
1.) Is it actually not starting for you on these bi-weekly trips to the grocery store?
2.) What is the condition of the current battery?
3.) Is it 100% charged when returning from the VA?
4.) How old is the battery?

If losing its charge between trips to the grocery store, I would suspect two things 1.) Weak battery OR 2.) Parasitic drain.
@bookbinder
There is always a slight parasitic draw, actually not really parasitic, but rather expected, due to several of today's nice little gizmos in these cars. One is "keep alive" current for the PCM, another is charge current to keep capacitors in the dirt-bag power supply charged. Idea is to be able to deploy the bag if a guy is sitting in the car parked with the engine off, and gets hit real hard.

Definitely should not take a good battery "down" enough to not start, in two weeks. Two months, maybe. PCM draw is around 5 milliamps (Ma, 0.005 Amp). Add all the other stuff, it's been argued from here to hell, but IMO no more than 20 Ma would keep me happy. imp

Back