Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Best Fuel Economy?

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by Daka, May 11, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Daka

Daka New Member

City, State:
    San Diego, CA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '04 SportTrac 2WD
    How do I achieve this??? ALL options will be considered....

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. masospaghetti

masospaghetti Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    98 XLT, OHV, 4D, 4x4, 5M
    As posted in another thread, here are my suggestions. The two entries in bold are free and easy.

1. Replace Motor oil/ATF/Transfer case fluid/gear oil/Power steering fluid with synthetic

2. Put 35 psi in your tires, but make sure your tire is rated for it (check the sidewall for its max pressure rating)

3. Weight reduction. Either remove the spare or replace it with a lightweight alloy rim - 5-10 lb reduction. Only fill up your tank 1/2 way when you get fuel, on average you will drive with 9 gallons less fuel - 54 lb reduction. Running boards are heavy too, about 30-40 lbs each, remove them if you don't use them.

4. People have reported good results from running underdrive pulleys and electric fans. I have an underdrive pulley on my Fiero, results are not dramatic, but it has to help - less energy to drive accessories means less fuel. The Fiero also doesn't have power steering so it's benefit on an Explorer will be greater.

5. Make sure your a/c isn't always running, if you don't need it. Keep the mode selector in "dash vent only" or "floor vent only" - any other mode will have the compressor run.

6. Lower the front of the truck an inch or so using the torsion bar adjustment and install a lower air dam. The 99+ models already have a small dam under the bumper, you can make it larger to better push air around the truck instead of under it. You may need to trim your bumpstops and be careful about your camber, since lowering will increase the negative camber on your front wheels.

7. A "warm air intake" actually improves fuel economy although it's not ideal for maximum horsepower. Less energy is wasted in heating the incoming fuel/air charge. The typical "short ram" intake is a warm air intake.

8. Fuel efficient tires, such as Goodyear Fuelmax

9. If you do a lot of night driving, LEDs may save you a bit in fuel. Probably about ~100 watts reduction total from changing the exterior parking/marker lights to LED.

4. mwweimer_2001

mwweimer_2001 Member

City, State:
    Muncie, IN
    2001 Explorer Sport Trac
    Don't do any quick starts, and use the cruise control. I have a 2001 4wd sport trac and I can get 20mpg out of it this way. Synthetic oil definately helps.

5. LONO100

LONO100 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Bay Area CA
    03 sport trac XLT
  6. IZwack

IZwack Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Germantown, MD
    1998 Ford Explorer
    Browse ecomodder.com - everything you ever wanted to know about boosting MPG.

7. Daka

Daka New Member

City, State:
    San Diego, CA
    '04 SportTrac 2WD
    I used to use Royal Purple 20w-50 in my legend, will that work for us or just use 5w-30?

my Cruise Control doesnt work anymore so my dad says (gave it to me)

spark plugs: Iridium or Platinum?

what are "Running Boards"?

And no i dont use my racks...

8. ncranchero

ncranchero Co-moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Denver,NC
    '94 F150 4x4 SWB 4.9L
    The fact your cruise doesn't work "may" indicate a defective switch on the master cylinder. Right off I don't remember the 04's being on the recall list but you should check it out.

9. 01STrunner

01STrunner Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Greer, SC
    2001 SAS'd Sport Trac
    running boards are the steps on the outside of trucks and suv's. On the sport trac they're bars.

Since you don't use your racks, if you have cross rails on it right now then you can just take them off. It won't be a big difference at the pump but it all adds up.