Bleeding your power steering ststem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bleeding your power steering ststem

niteklub79

Reaction score
City, State
CORPUS CHRISTI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 base auto 2wd
All,

I just spent the last three days on the Explorer - I first started with the idea of replacing my eater core and I figured that if I had to drain the radiator part way, I might as well pull it and remove my A/C system (wanted to do for a while now) and flush the cooling system after the heater core install...

When I got all the A/C and cooling system stuff taken care of, I put on the new non-A/C serpentine belt, but before I cranked the engine, I noticed my power steering lines were rusty, and since the power steering pump would be getting more wear because the A/C compressor was out of the picture, I figured it wouldn't hurt to replace them...

Now, I made a mistake (one of several throughout this process), and I didn't bother to flush the power steering system after the new line installation, this in concert with low fluid (mistake two) resulted in the failure of the power steering pump - so I got a new pump...

On every piece of literature I read, the bleeding procedure invariably involved removing the return line from the pump - I spent two days trying to bleed a closed loop system when it was open because the return hose was disconnected - so I figured out that I didn't need to remove any hoses to bleed the system, instead I jacked up the front end to relive pressure from the steering system, removed the serpentine belt, filled the power steering pump reservoir and hand cranked the pulley to remove air bubbles - then, without going to full lock, I turned the wheels, waited a few minutes, turned the pulley a few times, and reversed direction - I did this about three times, and then I started the engine, still jacked, with the reservoir cap off and a bottle of fluid handy, and did the above described procedure with the power on...

After each time I turned the wheel, I idled for about five seconds, and then turned off the engine - I did this about three times - That was all I needed to do to bleed my system after a complete fluid flush, changing both of the lines, and replacing the pump and reservoir assembly - the power steering is a bit loud, but the manufacturer specifically mentions the fact that the pump will be loud for up to 500 miles, nevertheless, the power steering is responsive and smooth...

This post is meant to be a warning to those who wish to bleed their power steering system by taking off a line - don't do what I did, in addition to having to change the pump because of being too haughty (or ignorant) to flush the old fluid, I wasted two whole days working on this thing (with hurricane preparation taking up some time) and now I have a huge mess to clean up in the garage...

Moral of the story: Patience is key, and keep it simple, stupid...

Turn the pulley by hand before cranking the engine to prime the pump and get the fluid to where it needs to be - be sure to have plenty of fluid on hand, and keep the front end off the ground until you are completely sure that the system has been bled (i.e. no bubbles, clear fluid that isn't frothy or milky, and no air entering the system) - and make sure you put some newspaper or cardboard on the floor (while trying to collect as much old fluid as possible with hoses and containers)...

Hope everyone on the East Coast has made out alright with this weather...

Cheers!

Great information.

My power steering pump needs replaced, old and leaking. Also if I turn the wheels to full lock with the truck running or not, it shots power steering fluid out the tiny hold in top of the reservoir. Nothing ticks me off more than opening the hood and seeing all that power steering fluid covering everything on the left side of the engine.

Caused my new master cylinder to rust too. :(

Back