• Register Today It's free!

brakes at high speed

tgabe1988

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon City, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT Exploder
hello I have a 1994 Ford explorer xlt its a 4.0 ltr automatic any who, when I am traveling at speeds at over 45 mph and I go tu use to the brakes the car starts to kick or wobble almost and the steerong wheel "jolts" around any ideas? New calipers, rotors, and pads up front

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Random guess, but I would check to see if the wheel bearings are properly torqued/seated.

Mike

It could also be the rotors. Sometimes they are known to get warped if you have to slam on the brakes at a high speed. Just personal experience speaking.

-Spyke

A warped rotor can cause the steering wheel to vibrate when the brakes are applied.

Yep, warped rotors...

That was my first guess too, but he said the rotors are new...

Mike

That was my first guess too, but he said the rotors are new...

Mike

An old friend of mine mentioned having to replace his rotors many times, Even switched to ceramic pads. Almost bought slotted and drilled rotors because he warped so many new rotors. He drives a 92 ranger.

He told me this because the rotors on my explorer were warped when I had gotten it. It cost me about $100 for the rotors and I done the work myself. Repacked the bearings and replaced the seals while I was at it.

When I applied the brakes it would shake, and I had a pulsating pedal, Got worse at higher speeds to the point where I wouldn't put my son in it because I feared for his safety.

I hear a lot of people have this problem with explorers/rangers and the likes.

Anyone have an idea as to what causes it?
I'll most likely upgrade to a better system or newer anyways. Brembo with slotted and drilled rotors if I have excessive warped rotors. Could get costly without a lifetime warranty.

Check all front end part's. Also replace brake hose's on front end as they can go bad internally .

Back