broke both rear coil springs | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

broke both rear coil springs

i have the same issue with my pass side rear coil spring, i just noticed it this weekend when rotating my tires. It broke on the second coil down. It cant be too rare because the ford dealer said its very common.

If it's so commen WTF is ford doing sitting on their *****? That sounds like just as bad a defect as, lets say, exploding tires :eek:

Maybe they need to do a recall. I sure wouldn't want them putting in the exact same part number as a spring that broke in half after ONLY 5 years of ONLY highway driving on my truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will be checking ours when I'm home next. Thats not a cool thing to be happening.

Is this only on high mileage trucks? What are the build dates on these?

mine is an 02 with 61k. makes me wonder if there was some kind of impact because the strut has been leaking for some time too

The shop just told me that the rear struts are also wasted!:mad:

Its going to cost $1000 to replace the coil springs and struts! This freaking sucks!

Mine was first noticed during a tire rotation around 70k miles. I bought it used with 14k and never heard a word about it being broken so I have to assume it happened later. Both of mine cracked about 2 inches from the top of the coil. I had an extended warranty so it was covered. I never noticed anything as far as loud ride. I also drove 99% highway miles, and never hit any curbs or anything like that. They both cracked parralel to the ground, so that may be why there was no difference in ride. The mechanics that saw it said they'd never seen one break in their lives.

FYI mine is a Feb 2001 build, so maybe this was a problem with initial Explorers.

Might be something with the early builds. Ours is an October '01. Will have to check out.

Didn't realize they had the '02 out that early.

Yet another case of broken springs!

"Once it was up on the lift I had to replace BOTH springs to the tune of
$475"

This was my post a few months back. You don't necessarily have to drive it off a cliff to break these springs. I know, I didn't! :)

Mine appear to be ok on my early build '03 EB 2x4.

Got my exolorer back a few days ago! had the rear coil springs,struts,and abs sensor replaced. It cost me a little over $1300. Sorry couldn't get any pics.

So are there updated ones to replace the broken ones?

I couldn't get any pics. My friend picked it up from the shop and he forgot to take pics.

The explorer rides much higher and is much tighter.

I just started doing some rough offroading in mine and after reading these posts I checked my springs a couple times last weekend out on the trails haha. Mine is a November '02 build (2003 model) with 83K on it, I sure hope mine stay intact, I don't have an extended warranty or anything, just powertrain.

02 rear springs

i have pictures just can't figure out how to post them

I say tell them to shove chargeing you and call a general manager or something, and tell them this is a common problem (you have proof from here :D). That they should foot the bill, or you'll notify your news station or whatever gets them to do it for you.

my 02 has both rear coils broken, My wife transports kids thats it, surely they were not overloaded with about 200 lb's. I e mailed ford and they blew me off. I sent pictures of them to ford today we will see what happens.

steven kreger's pics:

2002595289165266538_rs.jpg

2002524701275862625_rs.jpg

2002573141341134705_rs.jpg

HOLLY CRAP! Ones' broke top and one's broke bottom? How in the world is Ford not acknowledging this? They replaced my sway bar brackets..er..something a long time ago, and I'm sure the springs are a little more pertinent to drive ability.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How in the world is Ford not acknowledging this?
Ford's quality reviews are going to plummet in the near future when things such as this hit the fan.
The SuperDuty diesel exhaust fire is an example.

Back