cant seem to find trailer brake controller connector | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cant seem to find trailer brake controller connector

77vettejeff

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer sport
I have a 2000 explorer with tow package and cannot fond the connector for the trailer brake controller. I bought the hopkins controller and wiring adapter. But cannot find the connector under the dash on the driver side as the hopkins instruction show. Oddly, i see a connector that is brown and looks like the correct one but, it has a mating connector already connected. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The tow package doesn’t include a brake controller harness in the second gens. All it includes is a transmission cooler, 3.73 limited slip, and the harness plug in for the flat 4 connector up under the truck by the tail lights.

thanks, ill take a look to see if I have the same. Otherwise Ill install a breaker. Have you towed close to max load with your Merc? If so, how did it handle?

I’ve towed 7-8000 pounds of stone fairly short distances, and it pulled it okay. Surely wasn’t winning any races, but it wasn’t as bad as I expected. I surely wouldn’t pull that much without trailer brakes, but set up properly it’ll tow it’s full capacity well.

What and how far are you planning to tow?

thanks for the reply. I have a drag car and a car hauler i use to go to local race track about 1 hour's drive. I estimate Im currently pulling about 4000lbs. Im looking at some enclosed trailers that weigh about 3000-3500lbs. So, with the weight of my car Id be at about 6500lbs. I currently do not use a weight distributing hitch but would with the enclosed trailer.

thanks for the reply. I have a drag car and a car hauler i use to go to local race track about 1 hour's drive. I estimate Im currently pulling about 4000lbs. Im looking at some enclosed trailers that weigh about 3000-3500lbs. So, with the weight of my car Id be at about 6500lbs. I currently do not use a weight distributing hitch but would with the enclosed trailer.
Keep in mind tools, tires, fuel, etc...

yes, probably another 300 lbs in tools, jack, stands. I should buy another truck!:)

Back